Homecoming Parade Guidelines & Registration
WHAT IS THE HOMECOMING PARADE?
The Homecoming Parade is an annual event that allows student organizations and members of the Southern Miss and Hattiesburg communities the opportunity to display and celebrate Southern Miss' rich traditions. The annual homecoming parade has been a part of our institution's history for more than 75 years, and some of the past parade entries have included the PRIDE Marching Band, the Dixie Darlings, current and former athletes, politicians and numerous members of the Southern Miss student body.
- Oct. 12: Parade Registration Form due by 5 p.m. to the Southern Miss Student Government Association. Parade Registration Form must be completed and turned in for participation in the parade. Registrants must submit a detailed sketch of what their floats will look like and the location where the floats will be constructed throughout the week.
- Oct. 20: Parade at 10 a.m. Floats and participants must arrive by 9 a.m.
- All participants must register with the Student Government Association by 5 p.m. Oct. 12 to participate in the parade.
- All floats will be issued a parade identification sign that MUST be displayed throughout the duration of the parade route.
- Southern Miss Spirit and Homecoming Theme should be incorporated in the float in a festive and appropriate manner.
- The following vehicles are recommended for parade float entries: convertible cars, open-bed trucks (no more than 12 passengers in the back of the trucks) and flatbed trailers (no longer than 40 feet)
- No environmentally harmful substances such as gas or fire are allowed on the float.
- Floats are not to stop for any reason during the parade, except for emergencies.
- All vehicles must be able to show proof of insurance.
- Use of Homecoming Theme/Southern Miss Spirit: 10 points
- Originality and Creativity: 10 points
- General Participation: 5 points
Total: 25 points