General Honors (Freshmen and Sophomore Years)
- Honors freshmen must enroll in the University Forum during both the fall and spring semesters of the freshman year. The course consists of a series of lectures and other events on the Southern Miss campus and is graded on a pass/fail basis. Southern's Online Accessible Records, also known as SOAR, identifies the course as HON 321 in the fall and HON 322 in the spring.
- General Honors students must complete 20 Honors hours from the General Education Curriculum by the end of the sophomore year.
- General Honors students must complete the University’s General Education Curriculum by the end of the sophomore year.
- A 3.25 Cumulative GPA must be maintained.
Senior Honors (Junior and Senior Years)
In the first semester of Senior Honors, students must enroll in HON 300. The one-hour, pass/fail course aims to demystify the prospectus- and thesis-writing processes, and is a prerequisite to Prospectus Writing. To successfully complete the course, students must choose a thesis topic and a qualified Southern Miss professor to act as a research mentor, submit a Notification of Selection of Thesis Adviser and Topic Selection form to the Honors College and complete the Integrity Assurance Program required by the Office of Research Integrity.
Senior Honors students must enroll in HON 301, a three-hour Prospectus Writing course, during the junior year (and preferably the first semester of the junior year). To successfully complete the course, students must prepare and submit a satisfactory prospectus.
Senior Honors students must enroll in a total of three hours of independent research (typically the 492H course in the student's home department) taken over two or three semesters.
Senior Honors students must pass a comprehensive examination in his/her major discipline in the semester in which he/she will graduate.
- Honors classes offered in active learning format include field trips that will be arranged primarily on weekends or during semester breaks. Students may only enroll in one active learning course per semester.
- The Honors College accepts AP/IB/transfer credit that the University approves but will not apply the credit to the required twenty Honors hours.
- General Honors students must enroll in a minimum of 4-6 Honors hours each semester to ensure satisfaction of the twenty Honors hour requirement by the end of the sophomore year.
- General Honors students must enroll in a minimum of sixteen credit-hours each semester.
- General and Senior Honors students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.25.
- Please see details of the Honors College Curriculum and requirements in the Honors College handbook
- Students may not enroll in Honors core classes beyond the sophomore year. (for example, ENG 203H, PSY 110H, etc.)