B.S. in Sport Coaching Education
The Bachelor of Science degree program in sport coaching education (SCE) offers professional preparation to those who aspire to coach in a variety of athletic, sports, and business settings. The program offers courses in coaching methodology, sport psychology, and human performance, but does not lead to teacher certification.
The SCE program is one of few programs in the country recognized and accredited Level III by the National Council for Accreditation of Coaching Education (NCACE).
Coaches normally occupy positions as either head or assistant coaches in public or independent schools or in the private sector as business owners and consultants. They also have opportunities in nonprofit settings such as the YMCA and Boys and Girls Clubs.
- Students who wish to coach and teach in a Mississippi public school must possess a Mississippi teaching license. Therefore, all SCE students must choose ONE of the following options:
Links of Interest
- NCACE-Quality Coaching Education
- PRAXIS Exam
- Preparing for the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators Test
- Mississippi Department of Education (MDE)
- MDE Alternative Route Program
- JumpStart Program for Alternate Route Programs
Program Contact Information
Dr. Melissa Thompson – Assistant Professor
P: (601)-266-6999 Email: M.Thompson@usm.edu Room: HPR 226
Last Updated: March 27, 2014