A major component of the Luckyday Citizenship Scholars Program is service. One factor evaluated when high school students are applying for the program is their community involvement. Once selected as a Luckyday Scholar, students are asked to volunteer at least 20 hours each semester beginning the spring of their freshman year.
Service that may be counted towards Luckyday hours includes:
- Service in the greater Hattiesburg area
- Service with a non-profit organization that is meeting a need in the community
- Direct service
- Service that answers the questions posed by Robert Greenleaf in his test of servant-leadership:
- Do those served grow as persons?
- Do they, while being served, become healthier, wiser, freer, more autonomous, more likely themselves to become servants?
- What is the effect on the least privileged in society--will they benefit, or at least, not be further deprived?
Service should be completed inside the semester, between the dates of class beginning and finals ending. All service should be completed by the end of the spring semester.
All hours will be documented using the online form:Spring 2015 Service Form
We have compiled a list of agencies as suggestions of places to serve in the greater Hattiesburg area. We will update the listing as we hear of new opportunities and notice changes that need to be made with existing agencies.
We also recommend the Center for Community and Civic Engagement. They stay in contact with local agencies and help to organize service days throughout the semester. Their office is located in the Hub, room 104.
Freshmen Service Opportunities
Want to find a way to earn your 20 service hours? Well, Service Wars will provide you with this opportunity. This is competition between the floors promoted by the Luckyday Service Team to see who can get the most service hours. The floor at the end of the competition with the most hours will receive an ice cream party. The top 3 individuals with the most service hours will receive an award at the spring gala. Service Wars will last through Friday, April 3. Print out the service hour form to log your hours and turn it in to the office on Friday, April 3.
Log Service Hours: