On March 27, 1949, at LeFleur's in Jackson, forty-three (43) secretaries met for the purpose of becoming acquainted and promoting professional and social relationships.
At this meeting, the Mississippi Association of School Secretaries was born. Officers were elected, and a committee was appointed to work on the Constitution and Bylaws for the MASS.
Later, in accordance with the proposed Constitution and Bylaws, an Advisory Council was appointed. Those serving on the first Advisory Council were Mr. J. A. Travis, Assistant Executive Secretary for MAE; Dr. L. O. Todd, President of East Central Junior College; and Miss Eleanor Zeis, Supervisor of Vocational Guidance in the State Department of Education.
At the second meeting of MASS on February 4, 1950, those present voted in favor of having a summer workshop. This first workshop was held at Gulf Hills Hotel in Oceans Springs, under the supervision and guidance of The University of Mississippi. Twenty secretaries attended.
It was in 1954 that the name of the organization was changed to Mississippi Association of Educational Secretaries.
In 1983, the membership voted to change name of the Association to the Mississippi Association of Educational Office Personnel (effective July 1, 1984).
In 1991, the membership voted to change the name of the Association to the Mississippi Association of Educational Office Professionals (effective September 1, 1991).