Marine Science > Degrees
We offer B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. Degrees.
The following are the degree requirements for each.
Bachelor of Science:
- General Education Curriculum - 35 Credit Hours
- Major Course Requirements - 39-41 Credit Hours
- Other Required Courses - 31-44 Credit Hours
- Elective Courses - Hours as needed & approved by advisor
- TOTAL - 124 Semester Credit Hours
Please visit the USM Gulf Coast Marine Science website for more information about our undergraduate program.
Master of Science:
- Minimum of 34 graduate hours with a 3.0 GPA or higher; 18 hours must be at the 600 level or higher.
- Pass an oral comprehensive examination administered by the thesis committee.
- Completion of a thesis approved by the faculty advisor, the graduate thesis committee and the graduate reader.
- Successful public oral defense of the thesis at a research seminar.
Doctor of Philosophy:
- Minimum of 84 graduate hours beyond the B.S. degree or a minimum of 54 graduate hours beyond the M.S. degree with a 3.0 GPA or higher.
- Pass both a written and oral comprehensive examination administered by the doctoral committee.
- Fulfillment of the research tools requirement specified by the student’s doctoral committee.
- Completion of a dissertation approved by the faculty advisor, the doctoral committee and the graduate reader.
- Successful public oral defense of the dissertation at a research seminar.