Mr. Maxim van Norden
Coordinator of the Hydrographic Science Masters Degree Program & Instructor
Mr. van Norden assumed his present position in January 2009 after retiring with 36 years of service with the Naval Oceanographic Office. He held numerous positions concerning the coordination and oversight of the multimillion dollar Navy hydrographic program. He has served twice as a member of the International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) S-44 Hydrographic Survey Standards Committee (1997 & 2007) and as a member of the IHO Committee on Hydrographic Requirements for Information Systems (CHRIS) from 2003 to 2008. Currently he is an associate member of the ACSM-THSOA Hydrographer Certification Board. His research interests include:
- Improving the speed from data collection to product delivery, particularly for military applications, using both unconventional technology and procedures.
- Using the ellipsoid as the vertical datum to both meet the delivery needs of military applications in littoral and riverine environments but also to seek improvements in data accuracy that can be used by the civil community.
- Hydrographic Data Management (HYD601)
- Nautical Cartography and GIS (HYD606)
- Practical Hydrographic Science (HYD608)
- Hydrographic Science Field Project (HYD610)
Van Norden, M.F., R.W. Ladner, and E. Arroyo-Suarez. 2008. Developing a Concept of Operations for Military Surveys to IHO Standards Without Shore-based Stations. Proc. Canadian Hydro Conference 08. Victoria BC, Canada, May 5-8, 2008.
Van Norden, M.F., E.N. Arroyo-Suarez, A.S. Najjar. 2005. Hydrographic Surveys to IHO Standards Without Shore Stations Using the Real-time GIPSY (RTG) Global Positioning System (GPS). Proc. U.S. Hydro Conference 05. Proc. U.S. Hydro Conference 05, San Diego CA, March 29-31, 2005.
Van Norden, M.F., S.P. Harrison, S.M. Kosbab. 2003. Electronic Chart Display Overlay Developments at the Naval Oceanographic Office for use in Tactical Applications. Proc. 2nd International ECDIS Conference, Singapore, October 7-9, 2003.