Programs in Medical Laboratory Science
- The Medical Laboratory Science Program (formerly Medical Technology) is located on the Hattiesburg campus and offers a complete program leading to the bachelor of science in medical laboratory science. During the first three years, the student is enrolled in general education, science and preliminary medical laboratory science courses. The senior practicum includes two semesters at the university and one and one-half semesters at an affiliated hospital. The affiliated hospitals include Forrest General Hospital , Hattiesburg; Memorial Hospital, Gulfport; Singing River Hospital, Pascagoula; St. Dominic Memorial Hospital, Jackson; VA Gulf Coast Veterans Health System, Biloxi.
- The department has a process for articulation with accredited medical laboratory technician (MLT) programs, which provides career mobility for the associate degree-level technician.
- Students completing the program are eligible to take national examinations for certification as medical technologists/medical laboratory scientists.
The Master of Science in Medical Laboratory Science degree programs seek to provide the student with skills and knowledge for professional enhancement. Graduates of the programs may be candidates for positions as laboratory managers, education coordinators, college or university medical technology faculty members, laboratory computer specialists, research laboratory technologists, departmental supervisors, etc. The programs are structured to provide the student with an area of specialization or expertise.
- The Department of Medical Laboratory Science offers two programs leading to the master's degree in Medical Laboratory Science. One program is for individuals who possess certification as a medical laboratory scientist from a recognized national certifying agency. This certification is an entrance requirement.
- The second program is for individuals who do not hold certification as a medical laboratory scientist from a recognized national certifying agency. This program includes a medical technology practicum that allows the individual to become eligible to sit for a certification examination. Certification from a recognized national certifying agency is an exit requirement.