Register for auditions here: http://www.usm.edu/music/auditions-0
Undergraduates scholarships are available to bass students. Apply prior to February 1.
Graduates students can apply for an assistantship (includes tuition and a stipend during the fall and spring semesters—see fees that you will still be responsible for paying at the beginning of each semester). Deadline is March 1st to be considered for an assistantship.
Please contact the Director of Jazz Studies, Mr. Larry Panella via email Lawrence.firstname.lastname@example.org or at (601) 266-4047.
- Scales/Arpeggios: Two octaves scales and arpeggios. (Major and Minor) (2 keys)
- One Short Etude to show candidate's technical proficiency
- Two Contrasting Movements of a sonata (Vivaldi, Marcello, etc.) concerto (Dittersdorf, Koussevitzky, Dragonetti, Bottesini, etc)
- Scales/Arpeggios: Three octaves scales and arpeggios. (Major and Minor.) (2 keys)
- One Etude (Simandl, Nanny, Kreutzer, Mengoli,etc.
- Two Contrasting movements of a Sonata or concerto
- One Movement of a Bach Cello Suite
Also, submit a curriculum vitae (listing your complete activities as a musician, including awards). Please indicate the degree you wish to apply for, your age, and if you will be entering the University directly or needing to study English first.
If you cannot audition in person, you may send a CD, a DVD or a Video, using as high a level of audio quality as possible.
Auditions by CD and DVD:
if in the continental United States, should be mailed to:
Dr. Jay Dean
School of Music
University of Southern Mississippi
118 College Dr # 5081
Hattiesburg, MS 39406
If outside the continental United States, FedEx materials to:
Dr. Jay Dean
The Leech House
103 S. 30th Ave
Hattiesburg, MS 39401
Auditions by Internet:
If you are applying to Jazz Studies, please contact the Director of Jazz Studies, Mr. Larry Panella, at (601) 266-4047.