All prospective music majors must audition regardless of their choice of degree plan. To be admitted to the School of Music applicants must meet the minimum standards in applied music through the admissions audition and meet the academic requirements of the university.
The University of Southern Mississippi keeps tuition rates at a very reasonable cost for students. Some instructional fees may apply. Check the Admissions Web site for more information about costs of attending Southern Miss.
PAYING FOR YOUR EDUCATION
You will find a wide variety of programs and opportunities to help you pay for your education at the Southern Miss School of Music. To explore these options, we recommend the following four steps:
- APPLY FOR ADMISSION to the University of Southern Mississippi here. The Admissions office publishes a checklist of all the items you will need to complete your application. Apply by February 1 to receive priority consideration for the Fall 2012 semester.
- AUDITION at the School of Music. Register for one of our audition days. Inquire at the School of Music about fellowship, assistantship and scholarship opportunities that can help you pay for your education. Again, priority consideration will be given to applicants who complete this process by February 26.
- FILE THE FREE APPLICATION FOR FEDERAL STUDENT AID (FAFSA) if you are interested in state and federal financial aid, including federal grants and student loans. The USM School Code for FAFSA is 002441. Financial aid application deadlines are listed and more information are listed on the Office of Financial Aid website, and students who complete their applications by February 1 will receive priority consideration for the Fall semester.
- RESEARCH FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES (see below) as well as the state and national funding opportunities noted in step three (above).
- Academic Scholarship: Presidential, National Merit, Academic Excellence, Golden Opportunity, Regional, Leadership and Lucky Day scholarships are available through the Admissions Office. Check here for details about eligibility and application procedures.
- School of Music Scholarships: Prospective students who audition (as music majors or as non-majors) for the School of Music are considered for these competitive music scholarships. There is no official application form involved—just register for an official School of Music audition.
- Student Employment: Find a list of on-campus, off-campus and work-study employment opportunities here.
- Federal Work-Study: Find typical award amounts listed on the Federal Aid Programs page of the Financial Aid Office. Step-by-step instructions on how to apply can be found on the Student Employment Web site.
- Foundation Scholarship Finder: Donors to the USM Foundation have set up scholarships to assist individual students that meet criteria specified by the donor. Students can qualify for these scholarships based on gender, major, county of permanent residency, alumni status at junior colleges, and other criteria. Use this computer search application to see if you qualify for any of these scholarships.