The following events are being held at various locations in Hattiesburg and present both interview and photo opportunities for the media. You may also want to include some of these in your community or entertainment calendars. For news media who may have questions about interviews or photo opportunities, contact the Department of Marketing and Public Relations at 601.266.4491.
• The Museum of Art at The University of Southern Mississippi presents “A Private Collection of Japanese Prints” 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sept. 23-Nov. 1. An opening reception will be held from 4-6 p.m. Sept. 23. For more information, call 601.266.5200.
• University of Southern Mississippi President Martha Saunders will give her State of the University address during fall convocation at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 24, at Bennett Auditorium. For more information, call 601.266.4497
TUESDAY, SEPT. 23
Museum Opening Reception
Time: 4-6 p.m. Location: Museum of Art
An opening reception will be held for the exhibit “A Private Collection of Japanese Prints.” For more information, call 601.266.5200.
First EcoEagle Film
Time: 7 p.m. Location: PowerHouse
The first EcoEagle film “Trashed” describes the investigation of one of the fastest growing industries in North America. For more information, call 601.266.5687.
WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 24
2008 Fall Convocation
Time: 3:30 p.m. Location: Bennett Auditorium
University of Southern Mississippi President Martha Saunders will give her State of the University address during fall convocation. For more information, call 601.266.4497
Guest Artist Recital- Guitar
Time: 7:30 p.m. Location: Marsh Auditorium
Robert Gibson will perform the guitar during this Southern Miss School of Music guest artist recital. For more information, call 601.266.5543.
THURSDAY, SEPT. 25
The Big Read
Time: 5-7 p.m. Location: Hattiesburg Cultural Center
The University of Southern Mississippi Department of English will host the Big Read kickoff event, giving the community an opportunity to learn more about the area-wide initiative while enjoying a concert of African-American music inspired by the Harlem Renaissance.
The department was one of just more than 200 organizations across the country to receive a National Endowment for the Arts Big Read grant to promote and celebrate literacy. For more information, call 601.266.4593.
FRIDAY, SEPT. 26
Ellen Bryant Voigt
Time: 8 p.m. Location: International Studies auditorium on the Hattiesburg campus
The University of Southern Mississippi Center for Writers will host a reading featuring prize-winning poet Ellen Bryant Voigt.
The reading is the second of the Center for Writers’ 2008-09 Visiting Writers Series. For more information, call 601.266.5600.
SATURDAY, SEPT. 27
Southern Miss Softball
Times: 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. Location: Southern Miss Softball Complex, located off of North 25th Avenue
Southern Miss Tournament - Southern Miss vs. Gulf Coast at 4 p.m. and Southern Miss vs. Nicholls State at 6 p.m. For more information, call 601.266.5017.
SUNDAY, SEPT. 28
Jacquline B. Hairston Concert
Time: 4 p.m. Location: Administration Building
This concert “The Songs of the Soul and Spirit” will feature spirituals arranged by Jacquline B. Hairston. For more information, call 601.266.5543.
IN THE NEWS TODAY
• The presidential debate in Oxford, Miss., is just days away. Get the buzz that’s going around as this historical event brings the nation’s eyes on our state. Call 601.266.4499 to speak with a political expert.
• As election day nears with the country divided on which candidate will solve the economic crisis, the choice may depend on who is not yet a registered voter. Call 601.266.5568 to find out how universities are proactive in increasing registered voters in Mississippi during these last crucial weeks.
• This month is Healthy Aging Month, an annual observance designed to focus national attention on the positive aspects of growing older. Find out the latest news and trends through recent research conducted on gerontology studies by calling 601.266.5568 for a Southern Miss professor.