marketing and public relations
   
 
click here for the news highlights
click here for all news releases
click here for contacts
click here to read our functions
 
click here for our home page
click here to subscribe to news by email
click here for the southern miss home page
click here for licensing
 
 

Released May 9, 2003

news in a flash

For the week of May 5 - 9

SOUTHERN MISS RECREATIONAL SPORTS STUDENTS HONORED

HATTIESBURG - Three University of Southern Mississippi students recently received national recognition from the National Intramural and Recreational Sports Association (NIRSA) as recipients of the prestigious William N. Wasson Award. The winners were Kanika Collins, Jason Grisham and Bert Hughes. The purpose of this award is to give national recognition to outstanding students who are active in recreational sports on a NIRSA member campus. Named after NIRSA's founder, this award is intended to identify both undergraduate and graduate students who set the standard on college campuses in the United States.

To be nominated, students must have a solid history of scholarship, professional development, departmental service, and campus and community involvement. Collins is a graduate student in Human Performance and Recreation with an emphasis in sports management. She is the daughter of Charles and Cassie Collins of Greenwood. Grisham is also a graduate student in Human Performance and Recreation with an emphasis in sports management. He is the son of Travis and Fannie Willis of Philadelphia. Hughes is a senior Human Performance and Recreation student with an emphasis in recreation. He is the son of Albert and Sophronia Hughes of Natchez. All three are employed by the Division of Recreational Sports at The University of Southern Mississippi.

-30-

CANDLELIGHT AIDS MEMORIAL TO BE HELD AT SOUTHERN MISS

HATTIESBURG - A candlelight vigil honoring victims of the AIDS virus will be held May 18 from 8:30-9 p.m. in front of the Aubrey K. Lucas Administration Building in conjunction with the worldwide 20th annual International AIDS Candlelight Memorial. The annual event is coordinated by the Global Health Council to commemorate the lives lost to AIDS, to demonstrate support of people living with HIV/AIDS, and to mobilize community-based responses to HIV/AIDS. The Southern Miss Student Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, Congregation B'nai Israel, Hattiesburg Unitarian Universalist Fellowship and the Hattiesburg AIDS Services Coalition are sponsoring the local interfaith memorial. For information, call Cindy Brown at 271-2830.

-30-

SOUTHERN MISS STUDENTS PARTICIPATE IN DESIGN COMPETITION

HATTIESBURG - The American Institute of Building and Design 2003 Student Design Competition held a student design competition recently, where Southern Miss architectural engineering technology students were judged by design firm owners and architects from across the state. Students were asked to design a house for a family of four on a lakefront lot. All students participating are architectural engineering technology majors at Southern Miss. Students participating included Chris Kennedy, Emily Taylor, Shawn Bensley, Preston McKay, Brian Swilley, Carla Cascio, Stacey Agnelly, Richard Hunt, and Christopher Riggins. Judging was based on 20 percent exterior design, 20 percent interior design, 20 percent aesthetics overall performance and 40 percent presentation. Student winners included Stacey Agnelly, first place for a Spanish armada-style house, Emily Taylor, second place with a beachfront house, and Richard Hunt, third place with a suburban home. Southern Miss professor Bill Crosby arranged the competition for the students.

-30-

   
 

This page is maintained by the Department of Marketing and Public Relations at
The University of Southern Mississippi at
http://www.usm.edu.

Comments and suggestions are welcome; direct them to usm_mpr@usm.edu.
URL for this page is http://www.usm.edu/pr/prnews
/may03/nf59.htm
February 26, 2004 12:59 PM

AA/EOE/ADAI