Hundreds of young men from across Mississippi will converge on The University of Southern Mississippi Hattiesburg campus Sunday for AmericanLegionBoysState, a weeklong program focused on the fundamentals of government and citizenship.
The event’s delegates are high school students chosen by American Legion Posts across the state based on academic performance, service to community and potential for leadership. The week will include simulated campaigns, elections and legislative proceedings to help delegates become better acquainted with the inner workings of the political process.
State and local elected officials and candidates for public office will visit the Southern Miss campus to speak to delegates throughout the week. This is the first year BoysState will be held at the university.
Highlights of the BoysState schedule include:
Sunday, May 30
*State Auditor Stacy Pickering, 7 p.m., Bennett Auditorium
Monday, May 31
* City elections, 8 a.m., ThadCochranCenter
* State Party Conventions, 8:30 – 11 a.m., ThadCochranCenter* Bill Luckett, Democratic candidate for governor, 7 p.m. Bennett Auditorium* State Party Conventions, 7-9 p.m., ThadCochranCenter
Tuesday, June 1
*State Attorney General Jim Hood, 11 a.m., Bennett Auditorium
*Primary election for legislature, 1-3 p.m., ThadCochranCenter
*Primary runoff election for legislature, 5-6 p.m., ThadCochranCenter
*State Senator Billy Hewes, 6 p.m., Bennett Auditorium
Wednesday, June 2
*State Treasurer Tate Reeves, 8 a.m., Bennett Auditorium
*Statewide (BoysState) candidate speeches, 11 a.m., Bennett Auditorium
*Lt. Gov. Phil Bryant, 6 p.m., Bennett Auditorium
*Election results, 7 p.m. Bennett Auditorium
Thursday, June 3
*Harold F. Hale Scholarship Presentation, 6:50 p.m., Bennett Auditorium
Friday, June 4
* Author and philanthropist Sam Haskell, 10 a.m., Bennett Auditorium
* Dave Dennis, Republican gubernatorial candidate, 6 p.m., Bennett Auditorium
Saturday, June 5
* Election of Boys Nation Senators, 8 a.m., Thad Cochran Center
* Awards Ceremony, 10 a.m., Thad Cochran Center
* Dismissal, 11 a.m.
For more information about Boys State, contact Steve Guyton at 662.719.2456.