Six students from the Jackson area have been named to 2010-11 Who’s Who in American Colleges and Universities at The University of Southern Mississippi.
The students are as follows:
· Andrew Brown, a biology major, is the son of Norman Brown and Susan Brown. He is a member of Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society, the Student Government Association and Southern Style. Among his campus activities he has also been an Honors College Ambassador, president and vice president of Eagle Connection, president of Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity and public relations chair for the Catholic Student Association.
· Lauren Richards, an elementary education major, is the daughter of Philip and Wendy Richards. She is a member of Kappa Delta Sorority, Order of Omega Honor Society, Freshman Associates, USM Choir, Junior Panhellinic Council, Eagle Connection, Diamond Darlings, The Legacy and the Student Government Association. Among her campus activities she has also been president of Kappa Delta Sorority, public relations chair and advisor for Freshman Associates and membership chair for Lambda Sigma.
· Ruth Poe, a history and psychology major, is the daughter of Will and Denice Poe. She is a member of the Honors College, Golden Key International Society, Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, The Legacy, Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society, the Ballroom Dance Club and the USM Choir. She has participated in the British Studies and Vietnam Studies programs.
· Elise Garcia, a nursing major, is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Garcia. She is a member of the Student Nursing Association, the Nursing Program Evaluation Committee and Sigma Theta Tau. Among her campus activities she has also been president of the Student Nurse Association.
· Lee Johnson, a marketing major and political science minor, is the son of Frank Johnson. He is a member of Southern Style, Eagle Connection, Transfer Leadership Board, Sigma Chi Fraternity, The Legacy, College Republicans, Volunteer Traditions, Blue Ribbon Committee, Alpha Beta Gamma International Business Honor Society and Greek Seekers.
· Jill Duckworth, a communication studies major, is the daughter of Billy and Betsye Duckworth. She is currently Miss University of Southern Mississippi. She is a member of The Legacy, the Student Government Association, Kappa Delta Sorority and the Communication Studies Association.
There were 40 students at Southern Miss selected for this prestige award. Who’s Who Among American Colleges and Universities is the highest award the academic community bestows. Students are chosen based on the following criteria: grade point average, community involvement, future leadership ability and/or potential and participation and leadership within school organizations and extracurricular activities.