The registration deadline has been extended for The University of Southern Mississippi’s popular Saturday Gifted Studies Program, scheduled for Jan. 22 – March 5, 2011 on the Hattiesburg campus. It is coordinated through the Frances A. Karnes Center for Gifted Studies.
Saturday Gifted Studies is designed to enhance cognitive and affective abilities of gifted students through planned enrichment/acceleration programming. This programming includes courses featuring in-depth analysis of specific topics in small group activities with other gifted youth. It is open to gifted students in pre-kindergarten (4-5-year olds) through grade 12, meeting on seven consecutive Saturdays from 9 a.m. - noon.
The schedule of courses is as follows:
· Pre-K - age 4-5:“What Makes Us Tick?” and “ It’s a Small World After All”
· Kindergarten-Grade 1: “Design Time” and “I Am a Scientist”
· Grades 2-3:“Save Our Planet;” “Mysteries;” and Spanish
· Grades 4-6:“Law Connections;” “Environmental Solutions” and “Author! Author! An Introduction to Creative Writing”
· Grades 7-12:Debate; “Psychology: Discovering Yourself;” “Questions! Questions! Questions!” and Forensic Science
For more information or to register, online visit http://www.usm.edu/giftedor call the Karnes Center for Gifted Studies at 601.266.5236.