Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
The bachelor program of study offers a curriculum based upon courses in the liberal arts and sciences and culminating in upper division nursing courses. The BSN program of study consists of 59 credit hours of non-nursing prerequisite courses and 69 credit hours of upper division nursing courses for a total of 128 credits. The purpose of the baccalaureate program is to prepare the graduate for entry level positions in a variety of health care services. The baccalaureate program of study provides the foundation for graduate study in nursing.
The University of Southern Mississippi College of Nursing Program is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) and approved by the Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning (IHL).
- Successful admission to Southern Miss as an undergraduate and to the Nursing Program
- A minimum national composite ACT of 21 or above
- A GPA of at least 2.5 or above on a 4.0 scale in non-nursing prerequisite courses and at least a 2.0 in each course
- Three of the five required science prerequisite courses completed at the time of application
- Only one required science course may be repeated, one time
- All prerequisite courses completed before nursing classes are begun
- Proof of current CPR certification, physical exam, immunizations (MMR, Tetanus, Hepatitis B), varicella vaccine or titer, and TB skin test
- Must be in good academic standing at Southern Miss (cannot be on probation, probation continued, or suspension).
- Applicants transferring from another school of nursing must provide a letter from the dean/director of that school stating that he/she is in good standing and eligible for progression in that program.
- The Nursing program requires clinical experiences. Clinical experiences generally require a criminal background check. A felony conviction may disqualify a student from the clinical experience, thereby making the student unable to complete the degree. For additional information, contact the College of Nursing.
For more information about undergraduate programs contact:
For additional BSN Requirements and Information click the following pdf links:
Admission Requirements (pdf)
Additional Requirements (pdf)
For BSN Application click the following pdf link:
BSN Application (pdf)