Concurrent Academic Progression In Nursing Pathway (CAPINP)
The Concurrent Academic Progression in Nursing Pathway (CAPINP) option provides students enrolled in Associate Degree Nursing programs in the state of Mississippi with an option for early enrollment in the current Southern Miss BSN completion program. This innovative pathway will allow students who meet admission requirements to enroll in the nonclinical courses required in BSN Completion Program while simultaneously enrolled in a community college Associate Degree Nursing program. Normally, the student graduating from the Associate Degree Nursing program must wait to pass the licensing exam in order to begin the RN-BSN program courses. Through enrollment in the CAPINP, the student will be able to graduate from the Associate Degree Nursing program, obtain RN licensure, and then, depending upon the number of courses taken prior to graduation with the associate degree in nursing, may have only one semester of coursework remaining to earn the BSN degree.
Admission & Progression Requirements:
- A minimal national composite ACT score of 21 or above or completion of all the course prerequisites to the nursing major with at least a grade of “C” and have an overall grade point average of 3.0.
- Students enrolling for a second baccalaureate degree may be admitted without an ACT by completing all the course prerequisites to the nursing major with at least a grade of “C” and having an overall grade point average of 2.5.
- Successful admission to an Associate Degree Nursing program in a participating Mississippi community college.
- Successful admission to Southern Miss as an undergraduate student.
- Completion of all non-nursing prerequisite courses required in the RN-BSN degree plan.
- May only repeat/retake one required prerequisite science course one time.
- Must earn a ‘C’ or better in each prerequisite course with an overall prerequisite GPA of a minimum of 2.5.
- Admission to the Concurrent Academic Progression in Nursing Pathway (CAPINP)
- Must maintain at least a ‘C’ in each nursing course from the Associate Degree Nursing program with a minimum nursing GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 point scale.
- May only repeat/retake one nursing course in the Associate Degree Nursing program one time.
- Maintain current enrollment and ‘eligible to progress’ status in an Associate Degree Nursing Program within Mississippi.
- Keep current all health, professional, and criminal history background check information current and on file in the College of Nursing.
- Provide evidence of graduation with Associate Degree in Nursing and RN licensure prior to progression to clinical nursing courses at Southern Miss.
- Student Services at 601.266.5454