Projects & Construction
The Physical Plant strives to construct an environment conducive to the education, research and service goals of The University of Southern Mississippi. All projects initiated and managed by the Physical Plant are intended to address the tenets established by the University Master Plan. Last approved by the IHL board in 2008, the plan addresses the following:
- Ensuring the physical campus setting continues to strengthen the quality of the collegiate experience
- Reforming and reshaping residential life through creation of vibrant living/learning districts
- Regenerating the historic core as the heart of campus
- Promoting a strategy for growth that organizes development in accordance with existing campus districts
- Maintaining a respectful, engaged relationship with the city of Hattiesburg
Several projects have been completed based on the guiding principles outlined by the University Master Plan including:
- Century Park North
- Century Park South: Vann Hall, Scott Hall and Lucky Day Citizenship Hall
- College Hall Renovations
- M.M. Roberts Stadium South End Zone Expansion
- Parking Garage
- Scianna Hall
- The Village
- Trent Lott Center for Economic Development
Projects in Progress
There are numerous projects being planned and executed by the Physical Plant that have been approved by the Campus Master Planning Committee and/or the Design Review Committee, some of which include:
Committed to providing the maximum reduction in energy costs, the Physical Plant will upgrade and make additions to the University’s HVAC control infrastructure. Energy Reduction retrofits will include incorporation of new technologies into 11 chiller plants and various buildings. Begun in May of 2012, the energy improvements and repairs continued through 2015. Impact: Chiller plant shut downs, which will affect the air conditioning of designated buildings, will be scheduled primarily on weekends, holidays and periods when the least number of students, faculty and staff are affected.
With the goal of reducing utility costs on the Hattiesburg campus, the second phase of the Campus Lighting Upgrade is expected to begin during the holiday break of 2012. Phase one of the upgrades added lighting improvements to the outdoor walking areas from McLemore to Southern Hall. Phase two of the upgrade will include the replacement of outdoor lighting with new energy efficient LED fixtures, in the areas between Southern Miss Drive and Centennial Lawn. The project will also include the installation of six new code blue emergency phones. Impact: There will be limited security lighting at night while the upgrade is taking place, but extra security from UPD will be provided through the completion date, which has yet to be determined.
Click here to view a complete list of Projects in Progress, including those that are tornado related.