Projects in Progress
Major Projects, Renovations and Upgrades
To be located on the western edge of campus on the corner of Montague and Ross Boulevard, this state-of-the-art facility will increase the square footage dedicated to the College of Nursing by 135 percent. The building will feature student interactive areas, an enlarged & enhanced clinical simulation lab, as well as computer labs and classrooms. Construction began in June of 2014, with an estimated completion in the Summer of 2016.
Impact: The spaces in the Theatre & Dance parking lot, from Ross Boulevard to the Wesley Foundation building have been permanetly consumed by the project. Additional outages or interruptions will me announced as the project progresses.
Committed to providing the maximum reduction in energy costs, the Physical Plant will upgrade and make additions to the University’s HVAC control infrastructure. Energy Reduction retrofits will include incorporation of new technologies into the 11 chiller plants and various buildings. Begun in May of 2012, the energy improvements and repairs will continue through 2014. Impact: Chiller plant shut downs, which will affect the air conditioning of designated buildings, will be scheduled primarily on weekends, holidays and periods when the least number of students, faculty and staff are affected.
With the goal of reducing utility costs on the Hattiesburg campus, the second phase of the Campus Lighting Upgrade began during the holiday break of 2012. Phase one of the upgrades added lighting improvements to the outdoor walking areas from McLemore to Southern Hall. Phase two of the upgrade will include the replacement of outdoor lighting with new energy efficient LED fixtures, in the areas between Southern Miss Drive and Centennial Lawn. The project will also include the installation of six new code blue emergency phones.
Other Projects in Progress
- Aubrey Lucas Administration Terra cotta & Foundation Repairs Completion Date: 2017
- Bolton Hall Renovations Completion Date: December 2016
- Building ID Signage Installation Completion Date: Ongoing
- Demolition of Houses & Trailers Completion Date: Ongoing
- Fourth Street to Hillcrest Pathway Completion Date: TBA
- Joseph Greene Hall Renovations Completion Date: TBD
- Pride Field Band Tower Completion Date: Summer 2016
- Pride Field to Scianna Hall Pedestrian Pathway Completion Date: July 2016
- Pride Field Turf Replacement Completion Date: Spring 2016
- Walker Science HVAC Upgrade Completion Date: 2015