Economics Degree Requirements
Requirements for a Major in Economics: The economics program offers two different degree plans, a social science track and a mathematics track. We strongly encourage only students with strong mathematics background, including a math ACT of 26 or better, to pursue the mathematics track. The following coursework is required of all economics majors:
- General education curriculum as outlined in the College of Arts and Letters preface of the Undergraduate Bulletin.
- PS 212
- ECO 201, 202, 336, 340, and 345
- ECO 493 senior capstone course
Majors pursuing the social science degree must complete the following course work:
- Four from: ECO 305, 330, 401, 436, 440, 470, 492; PS 331, 370, 375, 474.
- 5 courses from the following: ANT 423, BA 200, AJ 470, GHY 341, GHY 350, GHY 451, PS 473, SOC 301, SOC 475, or approved Study Abroad courses OR ANAPPROVED MINOR.
- Electives as needed to meet the 120 hours needed for graduation
Majors pursuing the mathematics degree must complete the following coursework:
- ECO 436
- ECO 498 or FIN 472
- MAT 167, 168, 169, 280, 326, and 340
- 2 courses from the following: MAT 320 and MAT 420 or PS 375 and PS 474 or ANT 423 or GHY 342 or GHY 350 or GHY 440 or GHY 451 or PS 473 or PS 480 and SOC 301 or SOC 475 or approved Study Abroad courses.
- Electives as needed to meet the 120 hours needed for graduation.
120 hours needed to graduate with a BA in Economics. At least 60 hours must be earned from a senior college and 45 of those hours must be from course numbered 300 or above. The last 40 hours of coursework must be earned from Southern Miss. And the student must earn at least 12 hours in the major area of study from Southern Miss.