Daniel A. Savin
B.S., Chemistry, Harvey Mudd College, 1995. M.S., Polymer Science, Carnegie Mellon University, 1997. Ph.D., Chemistry, Carnegie Mellon University, 2002. Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Chemistry, University of Minnesota, 2002-2003. Assistant Professor of Chemistry and Physics, University of Vermont, 2003-2008. Assistant Professor of Polymer Science and Engineering, 2008-2014. Associate Professor of Polymer Science and Engineering, 2014-present.
Self-assembly of stimuli-responsive block copolymers and biomimetic materials: property-structure relationships in polypeptide-based micelles, (organo)gels, and liquid crystals. High performance materials: hybrid polymer-nanoparticle composites, self-healing materials. Oil dispersion and anti-deposition materials. Light scattering characterization of complex systems.
(32) O. McNair, D. Brent, B. Sparks, E. Hoff, D. Patton, D. Savin. “Sequential Thiol Click Reactions: Formation of Ternary Thiourethane/Thiol-Ene Networks with Enhanced Thermal and Mechanical Properties.” ACS Appl. Mat. Interfaces 2014. 6 (9), p. 6088–6097.
(31) O. McNair, T. Gould, S. Piland, D. Savin. “Characterization of Mouthguard Materials: A Comparison of a Commercial Material to a Novel Thiol-ene Family.” J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 2014. 121 (13), 40402.
(30) W-M. Wan, P. Pickett, D. Savin, C. McCormick. “Structurally Controlled "Polysoaps” via RAFT Copolymerization of AMPS and Dodecyl Acrylamide for Environmental Remediation.” Polym. Chem. 2014. 5 (3), p. 819-827.
(29) O. McNair, A. Janisse, D. Krzeminski, D. Brent, T. Gould, J. Rawlins, D. Savin. “Impact Properties of Thiol-Ene Networks.” ACS Appl. Mat. Interfaces 2013. 5 (21), p. 11004–11013.
(28) A. Holley, J. Ray, W. Wan, D. Savin, C. McCormick. “Endolytic, pH-Responsive HPMA-b-(L-Glu) Copolymers Synthesized via Sequential Aqueous RAFT and Ring Opening Polymerizations.” Biomacromolecules 2013. 14 (10), p. 3793–3799.
(27) O. McNair, B. Sparks, A. Janisse, D. Brent, D. Patton, D. Savin. “Highly Tunable Thiol-Ene Networks via Dual Thiol Addition.” Macromolecules 2013. 46 (14), p. 5614–5621.
(26) L. Paslay,L. Falgout,D. Savin,S. Heinhorst, G. Cannon, S. Morgan. “Kinetics and Control of Self-Assembly of ABH1 Hydrophobin from the Edible White Button Mushroom.” Biomacromolecules 2013. 14 (7), p. 2283-2293.
(25) A. Bapat, J. Ray, D. Savin, B. Sumerlin. “Redox-Responsive Dynamic-Covalent Assemblies: Stars and Miktoarm Stars.” Macromolecules 2013. 46 (6): p 2188–2198.
(24) J. Ray, A. Johnson, D. Savin. “Self-assembly and Responsiveness of Polypeptide-based Block Copolymers: How “Smart” Behavior and Topological Complexity Yield Unique Assembly in Aqueous Media.” J. Polym. Sci., Part B: Polym. Phys. 2013. 51(7): p. 508–523.
(23) A. Bapat, J. Ray, D. Savin, E. Hoff, D. Patton, B. Sumerlin. “Dynamic-covalent Nanostructures Prepared by Diels–Alder Reactions of Styrene-maleic anhydride-derived Copolymers Obtained by One-step Cascade Block Copolymerization.” Polym. Chem. 2012. 3(11): p. 3112–3120.
(22) Ray, J.; Naik, S.; Hoff, E.; Johnson, A.; Ly, J.; Easterling, C.; Patton, D.; Savin, D. "Stimuli-Responsive Peptide-Based ABA-Triblock Copolymers: Unique Morphology Transitions With pH" Macromol. Rapid Commun. 2012, 33, 819-826.
(21) B. Sparks, T. Kuchera, M. Jungman, A. Richardson, D. Savin, S. Hait, J. Lichtenhan, M. Striegel, D. Patton. “Cyclic Tetravinylsiloxanetetraols as Hybrid Inorganic-organic Thiol-ene Networks.” J. Mater. Chem. 2012, 22, 3817-3824.
(20) A. Bapat, D. Roy, J. Ray, D. Savin, B. Sumerlin. “Dynamic-Covalent Macromolecular Stars with Boronic Ester Linkages.” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2011, 133 (49), pp 19832–19838.
(19) R. Griffitt, N. Brown-Peterson, C. Manning, D. Savin, I. Boube, R. Ryan, M. Brouwer. “Effects of Chronic Nanoparticulate Silver Exposure to Adult and Juvenile Sheepshead Minnow (Cyprinodon variegatus).” Environmental Toxicology and Chem. 2012, 31, 160-167.
(18) S. Naik, J. Ray, D. Savin. "Temperature- and pH-Responsive Self-assembly of Poly(propylene oxide)-b-Poly(lysine) Block Copolymers in Aqueous Solution" Langmuir 2011, 27, 7231–7240.
(17) J. Ray, J. Ly, D. Savin. “Peptide-based Lipid Mimetics with Tunable Core Properties via Thiol-Alkyne Chemistry .” Polym. Chem. 2011, 2, 1536-1541.
(16) B. Sparks, J. Ray, D. Savin, C. Stafford, D. Patton. "Synthesis of Thiol-clickable and Block Copolypeptide Brushes via Nickel-mediated Surface Initiated Polymerization of a-Amino Acid N-carboxyanhydrides (NCAs)." Chem. Commun. 2011, 47, 6245-6247.
(15) S. Naik, J. Chan, C. Comer, C. Hoyle, D. Savin. “Thiol–yne ‘Click’ Chemistry as a Route to Functional Lipid Mimetics.” Polym. Chem. 2011. 2, 303-305.
(14) A. Smith, X. Xu, D. Savin and C. McCormick. “Reversible Gold Locked Synthetic Vesicles Derived from Stimuli-Responsive Diblock Copolymers.” Polym. Chem. 2010. 1 (5), 628-630.
(13) A. Smith, X. Xu, S. Kirkland-York, D. Savin, C. McCormick. "Schizophrenic” Self-Assembly of Block Copolymers Synthesized via Aqueous RAFT Polymerization: From Micelles to Vesicles." Macromolecules 2010. 43 (3), 1210-1217.
(12) A. Magenau, N. Martinez-Castro, D. Savin and R. Storey. “Site Transformation of Polyisobutylene Chain Ends to RAFT Polymerization: Synthesis of Poly(isobutylene-b-N-isopropylacrylamide).” Macromolecules 2009. 42 (21), 8044-8051.
(11) S. Naik and D. Savin. “Poly(Z-Lysine)-based Organogels: Effect of Interfacial Frustration on Gel Strength.” Macromolecules, 2009, 42 (18), 7114–7121.