James W. Rawlins
Associate Professor of Polymer Science and Engineering
EDUCATION AND BACKGROUND
|1993||B.S., Polymer Science, The University of Southern Mississippi|
|1999||Ph.D., Polymer Science and Engineering, The University of Southern Mississippi|
|2004-present||Associate Professor, School of Polymers and High Performance Materials, The University of Southern Mississippi|
|2002-2004||Technical Marketing Manager, Bayer Material Science, Coatings Business Development, Leverkusen, Germany|
|2000-2002||Senior Research Chemist, Bayer Corporation, Coatings and Colorants Division, Coatings Research Group, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania|
|1999-2000||Technical Director, Highland International, Inc., Boone, North Carolina|
|1995-1999||Graduate Research Assistant, Polymer Science, The University of Southern Mississippi|
Directs a 40+ member research team that includes 9 graduate students. Published 40 peer-reviewed articles; 80 conference papers and abstracts, and 47 poster presentations; lectured at numerous short courses; and holds 14 U.S. and 3 European patents. Received the American Coatings Show Best Paper Award in 2008.
Polymer science and engineering; polymer design for thermosetting systems; polymer-coated surfaces; compatible and incompatible blending in crosslinked polymer systems; forensic analysis of polymers, coatings, adhesives, fibers, and films; structure-property relationships with crosslinked polymer systems for molecular healing; biobased raw material derivatives and utilization; chemical and biological agent permeability with crosslinked systems; nanoencapsulation for embedded raw material delivery; emulsion and miniemulsion polymerization; polymeric photovoltaic materials; and polymer synthesis and healing via enzymatic catalysis.
- Effects of Solvent Exposure on Material Properties and Impact Performance of an American Football Helmet Outer Shell Material, David Krzeminski, Dilhan Fernando, James Rawlins, Trenton Gould, and Scott Piland, Procedia Engineering, 72, 2014, 508-514.
- Mechanical Ageing Protocol Selection Affects Macroscopic Performance and Molecular Level Properties of Ethylene Vinyl Acetate (EVA) Running Shoe Midsole Foam, Nadine Lippa, Elise Hall, Scott Piland, Trent Gould, and James Rawlins, Procedia Engineering, 72, 2014, 285-291.
- The World of Surface Coatings is Centered Around the Glass Transition Temperature, But Which One?, Greg Curtzwiler, Mark Early, Diana Gottschalk, Christina Konecki, Robert Peterson, Steven Wand, and James W. Rawlins, Proceedings of the Forty-First International Waterborne, High-Solids, and Powder Coatings Symposium, New Orleans, LA, Feb 2014, 3-34.
- Mineralogical Transformation and Electrochemical Nature of Magnesium-Rich Primers during Natural Weathering, Shashi S. Pathak, Michael D. Blanton, Sharathkumar K. Mendon, and James W. Rawlins, accepted for publication in Metals, 4(3), 2014, 322-334.
- Emulsion Copolymerization of Vegetable Oil Macromonomers Possessing both Acrylic and Allylic Functionalities, Ethem Kaya, Sharathkumar K. Mendon, David Delatte, James W. Rawlins and Shelby F. Thames, Macromolecular Symposia 2013, 324 (1, Polymer Reaction Engineering VIII), 2013, 95-106.
- Treatment of Mg Powder with Carbonic Acid and the Effect of Treatment Variables and Treated Mg Ratios on Coating Performance in Salt Spray Tests, Tacibaht Turel, Shashi S. Pathak, Sharathkumar K. Mendon, Michael D. Blanton, and James W. Rawlins, Journal of Coatings Technology and Research, 2013, 10(4), 475-483.
- Vegetable Oil Based Fatty Amide as Hydrophobes in Associative Thickener, Monoj Pramanik, Sharathkumar K. Mendon, and James W. Rawlins, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2013, 130(3), 1530-1538.
- Magnesium-Based Sacrificial Anode Cathodic Protection Coatings (Mg-rich Primers) for Aluminum Alloys, Shashi S. Pathak, Sharathkumar K. Mendon, Michael D. Blanton, and James W. Rawlins, Metals, 2012, 2(3), 353-376.
- Determination of Epoxy Equivalent Weight of Glycidyl Ether Based Epoxides via Near Infrared Spectroscopy, Monoj Pramanik, Sharathkumar K. Mendon, James W. Rawlins, Polymer Testing, 2012, 31, 716-721.
- Molecular Weight Effects on the Mechanical Properties of Novel Epoxy Thermoplastics, Christine D. Caroselli, Monoj Pramanik, Brandon C. Achord, and James W. Rawlins, High Performance Polymers, 2012, 24(3), 161-172.
- Disecondary Amine Synthesis and Its Reaction Kinetics with Epoxy Prepolymers, Monoj Pramanik, Sharathkumar K. Mendon, and James W. Rawlins, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2012, 126(6), 1920-1940.
- Spectroscopic Analysis of Cotton Treated with Neutralized Maleinized Soybean Oil, Ericka N.J. Ford, Sharathkumar K. Mendon, Shelby F. Thames, and James W. Rawlins, Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society, 2011, 88(5), 681-687.
- Chain Transfer of Vegetable Oil Macromonomers in Acrylic Solution Copolymerization, Micah Black, Jamie Messman, and James Rawlins, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2011, 120(3), 1390-1396.
- Influence of Polymer Particle Size on the Percolation Threshold of Electrically Conductive Latex-based Composites, Gregory P. Moriarty, James H. Whittemore, Katherine Ann Sun, James W. Rawlins, and Jaime C. Grunlan, Journal of Polymer Science, Part B: Polymer Physics, 2011, 49(21), 1547-1554.
- Synthesis and Evaluation of Tetra(2,7-octadienyl) Titanate as a Reactive Diluent for Air-drying Alkyd Paints, Alp H. Alidedeoglu, Kevin Davis, Rhonda Robertson, Crystal Smith, James W. Rawlins, and Sarah E. Morgan, Journal of Coatings Technology and Research, 2010, 8(1), 45-48.
- Investigation on Dual Corrosion Performance of Magnesium-Rich Primer for Aluminum Alloys under Salt Spray Test (ASTM B117) and Natural Exposure, Shashi S. Pathak, Michael D. Blanton, Sharathkumar K. Mendon, and James W. Rawlins, Corrosion Science, 2010, 52(4), 1453-1463.
- Evidence of Ni(0) Complex Diffusion during Grignard Metathesis Polymerization of 2,5- Dibromo-3hexylthiophene, Brandon C. Achord and James W. Rawlins, Macromolecules, 2009, 42(22), 8634-8639.
- Thiol-Ene UV Curable Coatings Using Vegetable Oil Macromonomers, Micah Black and James W. Rawlins, European Coatings Journal, 2009, 45(5), 1433-1441.
- Nanoencapsulation of Blocked Isocyanates through Aqueous Emulsion Polymerization, Huaxiang Yang, Sharathkumar K. Mendon, and James W. Rawlins, eXPRESS Polymer Letters, 2008, 2(5), 349-356.
- Synthesis of New Acrylate-Based Nonionic Surfmers and Their Use in Heterophase Polymerization, Jean-Francois Morizur, Derek J. Irvine, James W. Rawlins, and Lon J. Mathias, Macromolecules, 2007, 40(25), 8938-8946.
- Reaction Calorimetry as a Tool to Determine Diffusion of Vegetable Oil Macromonomers in Emulsion Polymerization, Carolina Quintero, David E. Delatte, K. Diamond, Sharathkumar K. Mendon, James W. Rawlins, and Shelby F. Thames, Progress in Organic Coatings, 2006, 57(3), 202-209.
- Nanoencapsulation of Isocyanates via Aqueous Media, James W. Rawlins, Huaxiang Yang, and Sharathkumar K. Mendon, U.S. 8,680,176, issued Mar 25, 2014.
- Glycerol Ester-Free Functionalized Vegetable Oil Derivatives and Their Latex Compounds, Shelby F. Thames, James W. Rawlins, Sharathkumar K. Mendon, and David Delatte, U.S. 8,450,414, issued May 28, 2013.
- Polymeric Coatings Incorporating Bioactive Enzymes for Catalytic Function, Steven C. McDaniel, Eric B. Williams, James W. Rawlins, and Melinda Wales, U.S. patent application filed Jan 2011, US 20120097194.
- Functionalized Vegetable Oil Derivatives, Latex Compositions and Coatings, Shelby F. Thames, James W. Rawlins, David Delatte, and Sandipan Dutta, U. S. 7,999,030 B2, issued Aug 16, 2011.
- Polyurethane Powder Coating Compositions That Do Not Split Off Blocking Agents and Have a Low Stoving Temperature, James W. Rawlins, Michael Grahl, Dorota Greszta-Franz, Hans-Josef Lass, and Reinhard Halpaap, U.S. 7,767,778, issued 2010.
- Multi-layer and Composite Corrosion Resistant Coatings, Scott Hayes, Patrick J. Kinlen, James W. Rawlins, Michael D. Blanton, and Yevgenia Ulyanova, U. S. 2008/0317962 A1, issued Dec 25, 2008.
- Carboxy-Functional Crosslinkers for Epoxy-Functional Powder-Lacquer Binding Agents, Hans-Josef Laas, Christoph Gürtler, Reinhard Halpaap, Michael Grahl, Peter Thometzek and James W. Rawlins, U.S. 7,148,295 issued Dec 12, 2006, and EP 1,491,567 issued Oct 24, 2007.
- Powder Coatings Produced with Crosslinkers Capable of Curing at Low Temperatures and Coated Articles Produced Therefrom, Thomas Faecke, Ramesh Subramanian, James W. Rawlins, Eric J. Vidra. U.S. 6,891,012, issued May 10, 2005, and EP 1,479,705 issued Nov 24, 2004.
- Powder Coating Compositions, Their Preparation and Use, Richard Vicari, Olan S. Fruchey, Kathleen N. Junau, Shelby F. Thames, and James W. Rawlins, EP 1,070,748, issued Jan 24, 2001.
- Reactive Hyperbranched Polymers for Powder Coatings, Richard Vicari, Olan S. Fruchey, Kathleen N. Junau, Shelby F. Thames, and James W. Rawlins, U.S. 6,114,489, issued Sep 5, 2000.