Joshua U. Otaigbe
B.S. (with Honors), Industrial Chemistry, Nigeria , 1979. Ph.D., Polymer Science & Engineering, University of Manchester (UMIST), 1984. Fellow of Institute of Materials ( UK ).Fellow, Society of Plastics Engineers. National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 1997. Listed in Who's Who of American Inventors, 1998-1999. Member of Society of Advanced Materials and Process Engineering, Society of Rheology, American Chemical Society, Institute of Materials ( UK ). Elected to the Board of Directors, Society of Plastics Engineers-EPSDIV, 2001. Professor of Polymer Science and Engineering, the University of Southern Mississippi, Department of Polymer Science, August 2002. Registered Chartered Engineer.
Polymer processing and rheology; Materials science; Viscoelastic properties of polymeric solids and liquids; Structure and properties of polyphosphate glasses and glass/polymer hybrids; Composite materials and processing; Nanotechnology; University/industry interactions.
Recent Publications & Patents
1. Madbouly, S. A.; Otaigbe, J. U.; Nanda, A. K.; Wicks, D. A., Polyurethane-polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxanes nanostructured hybrid dispersions by the prepolymer mixing process. ACS Symposium Series 2009, 1008, (Nanotechnology Applications in Coatings), 36-50.
2. Madbouly, S. A.; Otaigbe, J. U.; Nanda, A. K.; Wicks, D. A., Effect of method of preparation on the rheological behavior of polyurethane-polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxanes nanostructured hybrid films. ACS Symposium Series 2009, 1008, (Nanotechnology Applications in Coatings), 89-101.
3. Wang, W.; Guo, Y.; Otaigbe, J. U., Synthesis and characterization of novel biodegradable and biocompatible poly(ester-urethane) thin films prepared by homogeneous solution polymerization. Polymer 2008, 49, (20), 4393-4398.
4. Olson, B. G.; Decker, J. J.; Nazarenko, S.; Yudin, V. E.; Otaigbe, J. U.; Korytkova, E. N.; Gusarov, V. V., Aggregation of Synthetic Chrysotile Nanotubes in the Bulk and in Solution Probed by Nitrogen Adsorption and Viscosity Measurements. Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2008, 112, (33), 12943-12950.
5. Wei, H.; Li, Q.; Ojelade, M.; Madbouly, S.; Otaigbe, J. U.; Hoyle, C. E., Thiol-Ene Free-Radical and Vinyl Ether Cationic Hybrid Photopolymerization. Macromolecules (Washington, DC, United States) 2007, 40, (24), 8788-8793.
6. Urman, K.; Schweizer, T.; Otaigbe, J. U., Uniaxial elongational flow effects and morphology development in LDPE/phosphate glass hybrids. Rheologica Acta 2007, 46, (7), 989-1001.
7. Urman, K.; Schweizer, T.; Otaigbe, J. U., Rheology of tin fluorophosphate glass/polyamide 12 hybrids in the low concentration regime. Journal of Rheology (Melville, NY, United States) 2007, 51, (6), 1171-1187.
8. Urman, K.; Otaigbe, J. U., New phosphate glass/polymer hybrids -Current status and future prospects. Progress in Polymer Science 2007, 32, (12), 1462-1498.
9. Urman, K.; Madbouly, S.; Otaigbe, J. U., Unusual accelerated molecular relaxations of a tin fluorophosphate glass/polyamide 6 hybrid studied by broadband dielectric spectroscopy. Polymer 2007, 48, (6), 1659-1666.
10. Urman, K.; Iverson, D.; Otaigbe, J. U., Study of the effects of melt blending speed on the structure and properties of phosphate glass/polyamide 12 hybrid materials. Journal of Applied Polymer Science 2007, 105, (3), 1297-1308.
11. Madbouly, S. A.; Otaigbe, J. U.; Nanda, A. K.; Wicks, D. A., Rheological behavior of POSS/polyurethane-urea nanocomposite films prepared by homogeneous solution polymerization in aqueous dispersions. Macromolecules (Washington, DC, United States) 2007, 40, (14), 4982-4991.
12. Madbouly, S. A.; Otaigbe, J. U., Broadband dielectric spectroscopy of nanostructured maleated polypropylene/polycarbonate blends prepared by in situ polymerization and compatibilization. Polymer 2007, 48, (14), 4097-4107.
13. Kurose, T.; Yudin, V. E.; Otaigbe, J. U.; Svetlichnyi, V. M., Compatibilized polyimide (R-BAPS)/BAPS-modified clay nanocomposites with improved dispersion and properties. Polymer 2007, 48, (24), 7130-7138.
14. Kurose, T.; Urman, K.; Otaigbe, J. U.; Lochhead, R. Y.; Thames, S. F., Effect of uniaxial drawing of soy protein isolate biopolymer film on structure and mechanical properties. Polymer Engineering and Science 2007, 47, (4), 374-380.
15. Yudin, V. E.; Otaigbe, J. U.; Bui, T. X.; Svetlichnyi, V. M., Structure and properties of polyimide-bonded magnets processed from prepolymers based on diacetyl derivatives of aromatic diamines and dianhydrides. Journal of Applied Polymer Science 2006, 100, (1), 478-485.
16. Nanda, A. K.; Wicks, D. A.; Madbouly, S. A.; Otaigbe, J. U., Nanostructured Polyurethane/POSS Hybrid Aqueous Dispersions Prepared by Homogeneous Solution Polymerization. Macromolecules 2006, 39, (20), 7037-7043.
17. Madbouly, S. A.; Otaigbe, J. U.; Ougizawa, T., Morphology and properties of novel blends prepared from simultaneous in situ polymerization and compatibilization of macrocyclic carbonates and maleated poly(propylene). Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics 2006, 207, (14), 1233-1243.
18. Madbouly, S. A.; Otaigbe, J. U., Kinetic Analysis of Fractal Gel Formation in Waterborne Polyurethane Dispersions Undergoing High Deformation Flows. Macromolecules 2006, 39, (12), 4144-4151.
19. Urman, K.; Otaigbe, J., Novel phosphate glass/polyamide 6 hybrids: Miscibility, crystallization kinetics, and mechanical properties. Journal of Polymer Science, Part B: Polymer Physics 2005, 44, (2), 441-450.
20. Nanda, A. K.; Wicks, D. A.; Madbouly, S. A.; Otaigbe, J. U., Effect of ionic content, solid content, degree of neutralization, and chain extension on aqueous polyurethane dispersions prepared by prepolymer method. Journal of Applied Polymer Science 2005, 98, (6), 2514-2520.
21. Madbouly, S. A.; Otaigbe, J. U.; Nanda, A. K.; Wicks, D. A., Rheological Behavior of Aqueous Polyurethane Dispersions: Effects of Solid Content, Degree of Neutralization, Chain Extension, and Temperature. Macromolecules 2005, 38, (9), 4014-4023.
22. Madbouly, S. A.; Otaigbe, J. U.; Nanda, A. K.; Wicks, D. A., Thermal-induced simultaneous liquid-liquid phase separation and liquid-solid transition in aqueous polyurethane dispersions. Polymer 2005, 46, (24), 10897-10907.
23. Madbouly, S. A.; Otaigbe, J. U., Rheokinetics of Thermal-Induced Gelation of Waterborne Polyurethane Dispersions. Macromolecules 2005, 38, (24), 10178-10184.
24. Alam, T. M.; Otaigbe, J. U.; Rhoades, D.; Holland, G. P.; Cherry, B. R.; Kotula, P. G., Nanostructured polymer blends: Synthesis and structure. Polymer 2005, 46, (26), 12468-12479.
Wicks, D. A.; Nanda, A. K.; Otaigbe, J. U.; Madbouly, S. A. Polyurethane dispersions containing polyhedral oligomeric nanoparticles. 2006-593383 2008108773, 20061106., 2008.
Otaigbe, J.; Urman, K. Polyphosphate glasses as a plasticizer for nylon and making nylon composite. 2007-717934 2007290405, 20070314., 2007.
"Apparatus for and method of producing monodisperse submicron polymer powders from solution" U.S. Patent 6,461,546  (with D.W. Noid, et al .)
"Optical Devices and their Method of Assembly" U.S. Patent 6,444,076  (with R.E. Johnson et al. )
"Method of Making Polymer Powders And Whiskers As Well As Particulate Products of the Method and Atomizing Apparatus ", US Patent 6,171,433  (with J.M. McAvoy et al.).
"Sealing Frit Pastes", US Patent 5,510,301  (with K. Fink).
"Preparation of Powdered Glass Paste Compositions For Sealing Glass Panels to Funnels or Tubes in Television Picture Tubes" European Patent 709,346 , (with K. Fink).
"Desulfurization of Carbonaceous Fuels By Coagglomeration With Sulfur Sorbents", US Patent 5,284,497 , (with N. Egiebor ).