Shelby F. Thames
Distinguished University Research Professor
B.S., M.S., in Chemistry, The University of Southern Mississippi, in 1959 and 1961 respectively; Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry, University of Tennessee, 1964; Southern Society for Coatings Technology Distinguished Professorship, 1992-96; Distinguished University Research Professor, 1986-present; Professor of Polymer Science, 2002 accepted the presidency at the University of Southern Mississippi.
Organic coatings: waterborne, high-solids, powder, and solvent-based systems. Particular interests in polymer synthesis, structure-property relationships, organosilanes, high performance polymers, emulsion polymerization, and in the utility of agricultural materials as industrial raw materials for the polymer industry.
Recent Publications & Patents
1. Mann, N.; Mendon, S. K.; Rawlins, J. W.; Thames, S. F., Synthesis of Carbonated Vernonia Oil. Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society 2008, 85, (8), 791-796.
2. Kurose, T.; Urman, K.; Otaigbe, J. U.; Lochhead, R. Y.; Thames, S. F., Effect of uniaxial drawing of soy protein isolate biopolymer film on structure and mechanical properties. Polymer Engineering and Science 2007, 47, (4), 374-380.
3. Booth, G.; Delatte, D. E.; Thames, S. F., Incorporation of drying oils into emulsion polymers for use in low-VOC architectural coatings. Industrial Crops and Products 2007, 25, (3), 257-265.
4. Quintero, C.; Mendon, S. K.; Smith, O. W.; Thames, S. F., Miniemulsion polymerization of vegetable oil macromonomers. Progress in Organic Coatings 2006, 57, (3), 195-201.
5. Quintero, C.; Delatte, D.; Diamond, K.; Mendon, S. K.; Rawlins, J. W.; Thames, S. F., Reaction calorimetry as a tool to determine diffusion of vegetable oil macromonomers in emulsion polymerization. Progress in Organic Coatings 2006, 57, (3), 202-209.
6. Schuman, T.; Thames, S. F., Coating solvent effects producing adhesion to molded plastic parts. Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology 2005, 19, (13-14), 1207-1235.
7. Otts, D. B.; Dutta, S.; Zhang, P.; Smith, O. W.; Thames, S. F.; Urban, M. W., Synthesis and phase separation during film formation of novel methyl methacrylate/n-butyl acrylate/methacrylic acid (MMA/BA/MAA) hybrid urethane/acrylate colloidal dispersions. Polymer 2004, 45, (18), 6235-6243.
8. Gupta, S.; Mendon, S. K.; Thames, S. F., Weathering studies of epoxidized and hydroxy-fluoroester pendent guayule rubber in powder coatings. Journal of Applied Polymer Science 2004, 92, (1), 493-497.
9. Diamond, K. L.; Pandey, R. B.; Thames, S. F., Modeling the polymerization behavior of vegetable-oil-derived macromonomers in solution by computer simulation. Journal of Polymer Science, Part B: Polymer Physics 2004, 42, (7), 1164-1172.
10. Diamond, K. L.; Pandey, R. B.; Thames, S. F., Radical initiated polymerization in a bifunctional mixture via computer simulation. Journal of Chemical Physics 2004, 120, (24), 11905-11909.
11. Diamond, K. L.; Pandey, R. B.; Thames, S. F., Modeling of Polymerization Behavior of Mixtures of Acrylates and Olefins via Computer Simulation. Structural Chemistry 2004, 15, (5), 509-516.
12. Diamond Keri, L.; Pandey Ras, B.; Thames Shelby, F., Radical initiated polymerization in a bifunctional mixture via computer simulation. The Journal of chemical physics 2004, 120, (24), 11905-9.
Thames, S. F.; Rawlins, J. W.; Mendon, S. K.; Delatte, D. Glycerol ester-free functionalized vegetable oil derivatives and their latex compositions comprising fatty amide (meth)acrylate monomers. 2008-US1088 2008094503, 20080128., 2008.
Thames, S. F.; Rawlins, J. W.; Mendon, S. K.; Johnson, E. N.; Yu, Z. Functionalized vegetable oil derivatives, and uses in preparing latex compositions and textile finishes. 2006-387065 2006236467, 20060322., 2006.
Thames, S. F.; Rawlins, J. W.; Delatte, D.; Dutta, S. Functionalized vegetable oil derivatives for use in coatings and polymer compositions. 2006-345653 2006211795, 20060201., 2006.
Zychick, J.; Thames, S. F.; Dutta, S.; Mendon, S. K.; Smith, O. W. Compositions containing polymer nanoparticles for surface or skin protection. 2004-US10339 2005105870, 20040402., 2005.
Thames, S. F.; Smith, O. W.; Evans, J. M.; Dutta, S.; Chen, L. Functionalized vegetable oil derivatives used in latex and coating compositions and their preparation. 2004-800410 2005203246, 20040312., 2005.
Thames, S. F.; Sankovich, B. G.; Shera, J. N.; Thompson, R. B.; Mendon, S. K.; Evans, J. M. Soy protein based adhesive and particleboard. 2005-83118 2005234156, 20050317., 2005.
Thames, S. F.; Cook, R. C.; Wang, Q.; Mendon, S. K. Particleboard and method for forming particleboard using soy protein binder. 2002-280119 2004173306, 20021024., 2004.
Thames, S. F.; Cook, R. C.; Mendon, S. K. Soy protein based adhesive containing vegetable oil derivatives. 2002-193697 2004007156, 20020711., 2004.
G.Panjnani, S.F.Thames, O. S. Fruchey,"Latex Compositions Containing Ethylenically Unsaturated Esters of Fatty Compounds and Applications Thereof", U.S. 6,599,972, 
L. Zhou, O.W. Smith, T.C. Forschner, W.H. Boon, S.F.Thames, D.E. Gwyn,"High Gloss Acrylic Coatings with Improved Resistance”, U.S. 6,441,087, 
Z. Wang, R. Hariharan, K.G. Panjnani, E.H. Brister, S.F.Thames, C.L. King,"Novel Internally Plasticized and Low VOC Latex Compositions and Applications Thereof", U.S. 6,624,223, issued September 23,2003 and International Patent WO 01/44380, 
Kenichi Fujino, S.F.Thames,"Cellulose Based Coating Composition Curable with Ultraviolet Ray”, U.S. 6,303,670, 
R. Vicari, O. S. Fruchey, K. N. Juneau, S.F.Thames, J. W. Rawlins,"Reactive Hyperbranched Polymers for Powder Coatings", U.S. 6,114,489