Learn to Swim
Here at Southern Miss, we take water safety and education extremely seriously. Our staff of trained swim instructors work hard at teaching skills while providing children and adults with a fun, structured approach with a guaranteed increase of skills. To best assist the community, we offer both private and group swim lessons.
Learn to Swim (group lessons)
Developed by the American Red Cross, this program offers a structured progression of lessons, from infant-parent to adult lessons. It provides a great transition as your skills progress or a great starting point for new swimmers.
Parent and Child Aquatics (6 months to about 36 months old)
Parents and children learn together to increase children's comfort in the water and build a foundation of basic aquatic and water safety skills.
Preschool Aquatics (about 3 to 5 years old)
Children learn basic aquatic safety and survival skills to increase children's comfort level in and around the water.
Levels 1 - 6 (about 6 to 12 years old)
Children learn through six progressive levels to develop and refine their water safety, survival and swim skills.
Adult Lessons (about 12 years and older)
Provide adults the opportunity to learn and/or refine their water safety, survival and swim skills with their peers.
To register for Learn To Swim classes, register online or stop by the sales office located in the Payne Center Atrium. The sales office is open Monday - Friday between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m.
NOTE: Online registration does not guarantee your spot in Learn to Swim classes. Payment secures your spot in your respective Learn to Swim class. To submit payment, stop by the Payne Center Sales Office or mail to 118 College Dr. #5155, Hattiesburg, MS 39406. Late registration will be taken only if space is available.
- Southern Miss Students and Payne Center members
Parent & Child, Pre-school Aquatics - $55
Levels 1 - 6 & Adult lessons - $65
- Community and Payne Center Non-members
Parent & Child, Pre-school Aquatics - $65
Levels 1 - 6 & Adult lessons - $75
- All fees must be paid in full at the time of registration
- Students may NOT enter the water prior to lesson times
- Students should use the Natatorium entrance at Turk Circle for swim lesson admission
- No refunds or rollover will be granted after the first week of classes
- All students must wear appropriate swim attire. Students may also want to wear a swim cap and goggles
- Make-up days will be used in case class must be cancelled by Recreational Sports. They are not used for times when participants miss class on their own accord.
If you have any questions, please contact Alex Sandoval at 601.266.5405.