SPA Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I find program announcements and solicitations?

SPA assists faculty in finding program announcements through various methods. SPA’s monthly publication, the SPA Reporter, contains information on program announcements released during that month; this information is compiled by the Grants Resource Center and specified for Southern Miss faculty and staff. The COS Pivot database provides the most up to date funding search mechanism for potential PI’s to search for funding in their interest areas. In addition, SPA employs an Information Specialist to assist you in your funding searches. Visit our Funding Opportunities page for more advice.

Where can I find the University ID numbers and other government information my application is asking for?

Some of the more frequently requested information follows. Be sure to contact your SPA Grants Administrator early in the proposal process, to ensure that your application contains accurate information and meets the sponsor's requirements.

  • Applicant Legal Entity: The University of Southern Mississippi
  • Type of Organization: public, nonprofit, educational nonmedical
  • Federal Employer Identification Number: 64-6000818
  • DUNS #: 623335775
  • U.S. Congressional District: 4th
  • MS House District: 104th
  • MS Senate District: 45th
  • County: Forrest

Additional information is available in the SPA Contact Information column at right, and in our Faculty/Staff Resources pages.

What is the current indirect cost rate?

See F&A rates on the Forms and Budget page.

What are the current fringe benefit rates?

See full and part time fringe rates on the Fringe Benefits page. This information is also available through the University Budget Office.

The agency only has $50,000 available for my project, but I need $75,000 to do the work. What can I do?

It is recommended that you reduce the scope of work to a level that can be supported by the amount of agency funds available. It is university policy to include only the amount of cost sharing in the project budget that is required by the agency.

What internal forms do I need in order to submit my proposal?

Your proposal must be submitted with a completed Internal Approval Form (IAF) as well as any compliance forms necessary for your specific project. These forms are available on our Forms and Budget page.

How many days do you need to review my proposal?

We ask that you present your proposal and budget for review at least 5-10 days prior to the deadline. However, you are encouraged to inform your grants administrator as soon as you decide to apply for a specific grant. We would like you to give us as much time as possible to review the proposal in order to insure that your proposal is submitted properly and on time.

Who is responsible for copying and mailing a hard-copy proposal?

SPA will copy and mail the completed proposal.

How do I know who my grants administrator is?

Our grants administrators are assigned to specific departments, centers, or units. If you do not know who your department's grants administrator is, please contact our office at or 601-266-4119. Someone will be happy to assist you.

Who is responsible for reports to the funding agency concerning my grant?

Most grants require two different types of reports: financial reports and technical reports. PIs should work with the SPA's contract and grants accountants to insure the accuracy of financial reports. Technical reports must be completed by the PI and submitted to the agency based on agency guidelines. In addition, a copy of these reports must be sent to SPA. Also, SPA is happy to make copies of the reports and forward them to the funding agency for the PI.