Buyout/Appeal Housing Contract
Registered students who leave university housing during the designated buyout/appeal period are billed the designated buyout fee and given the option to appeal.
*Students who apply for campus housing after the contract release date of June 15 at 5 p.m. for fall and December 31 at 5 p.m. for spring have two business days from the time the assignment notification is sent to the University email address to cancel online in order to be released from the housing contract lease agreement. Please see housing contract for further details.
- Buyout - Allows registered students to leave university housing during the designated buyout/appeal period. The buyout rate for the semester of canceled contract will be billed to student account after cancellation and move out confirmation.
- Appeal - Offers registered students the opportunity to request to be released from the housing contract lease agreement or be given a reduced buyout during the buyout/appeal period using the following procedures:
- Seek Residence Life assistance as needed (hall staff, administrative staff available)
- Check out of the residence hall prior to submitting appeal (if canceling after residing in the residence hall)
- Submit online appeal request form by noon on Wednesday, Sept. 2
- Provide all supporting documentation to be considered for the appeal (i.e., bills, medical records, work/class schedule, etc.) by the Sept. 2 deadline
- Pay the designated buyout rate for the semester of canceled contract
- Students are responsible for the buyout portion of the contract unless released
- Processing fee is nonrefundable and not considered part of the room rate
Attend mandatory appeal hearing
- Meeting scheduled after Sept. 2 appeal deadline
- Students scheduled for hearing only if required appeal form with supporting documentation is received by Sept. 2 deadline
Once an appeal petition is submitted, it is first reviewed by the Department of Residence Life then forwarded to the Residence Life appeal committee. A hearing will be scheduled to review testimony and documentation. Attendance is mandatory. Students failing to appear for the scheduled hearing will forfeit the right to appeal and will remain responsible for paying the fee for campus housing and dining services. Petitions are generally decided based upon the factors of the circumstances and steps taken to resolve. Appeal hearing decisions are final.
The University of Southern Mississippi considers the Department of Residence Life Housing Contract Lease Agreement to be a legally binding document on the part of the student and university.