About the Viola Studio
Greetings! Welcome to the viola studio at the University of Southern Mississippi. I hope you will find this website useful and helpful. The viola studio at Southern Miss has around 12 students majoring in a variety of music degrees at the undergraduate and graduate levels plus a number of non-majors. Students from different countries gather here to complete their education and pursue careers in the music world. We create an environment where students value individuals’ talents and help each other with recital, audition and jury preparations. This is the place where you can develop the necessary skills to express freely through the viola, to achieve excellence within yourselves, and to value the process as much as the outcome. In addition, you will enjoy the happiness of music-making, develop critical thinking and hearing, feel confident of your ability to learn, and to discover personal rewards of music study.
Please take a look and contact me with any question. I look forward to assisting you in your quest to fulfill music dreams.
Dr. Hsiaopei Lee
During the past few years, Southern Miss viola students had won the following prizes and positions:
- Dalton Research Competition hosted by American Viola Society
- Orchestra Director at North Cobb High School
- Full time music teacher at the Gulf Coast middle and high school district
- Winners at the Young Artists Concerto Competition (Mississippi Symphony Orchestra) and Young Artists Concerto Competition (Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra)
- MMTA State Collegiate competition
- Mississippi Federation of Music Clubs State Audition
- Orchestra positions at Mobile Symphony, Meridian Symphony Orchestra, Gulf Coast Symphony, Pensacola Symphony Orchestra, and Alexandria Symphony Orchestra
- Summer festival positions at the Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp and Victoria Bach Festival
- Scholarship to Aspen Music Festival, Brevard Music Center, Texas Music Festival, Eastern Music Festival, Apple Hill Center for Chamber Music, and Schlern International Music Festival