Admission deadlines for master's students are the same as those published by the Graduate School. Admission requirements are the same as those of the university, with the additional items listed below. Admission (Regular or Conditional) is based on evaluation of the following:
- Undergraduate academic record:
Regular Admission: An overall 3.0 GPA is required as well as a 3.0 major GPA. A cumulative GPA on the last 60 hours from all institutions of our applicants has ranged from 3.0 to 4.0.
Conditional Admission: The cumulative GPA of the last 60 hours from all institutions is usually 2.75 or better.Students admitted on conditional admission status must take their first nine semester hours of graduate levelcourse work in the School of Mass Communication and Journalism and earn a 3.0 GPA on all course work taken whilecompleting the nine-hour requirement.
- Graduate Record Examination - Scores from the GRE must be submitted.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language - Applicants whose native language is not English must attain a TOEFL score of 550 (79 for online test).
- A statement of purpose indicating why he/she wishes to pursue a master's degree at Southern Miss.
- Letters of Recommendation - The admission committee reviews letters of recommendation to gain a more personal understanding of the applicant's abilities in communication areas and in critical thinking. Each applicant should request three current letters of recommendation by faculty in their major field of study who are well acquainted with their major field of study. For admission to master's level study, at least one of the letters may be submitted by a media or public relations professional who is familiar with the applicant's work and his or her suitability for graduate study.
- Writing Sample
Master of Science in Public Relations Degree Requirements (30 hrs.)
All master's degree programs require completion of at least 18 semester hours in courses numbered 600 and above, a written comprehensive examination and a minimum GPA of 3.0 for graduation.
Note: Students admitted without undergraduate public relations courses must take MCJ 521 (Intro to PR) and MCJ 522 (PR Writing & Design).
Substantive Core (12 hrs.) — MC 608, MC 620, MC 621, MC 626
Research Methods (3 hrs.) — MC 720
PR Research (3 hrs.) — MCJ 526
Completion of either the Thesis or Non-Thesis option:
Thesis (6 hrs.) — MC 698
Mass Communication Electives (6 hrs.)
Major Project or Internship (3 hrs.)
Mass Communication Electives (9 hrs.)
List of Mass Communication Courses:
MC 608 — Critical and Cultural Theory
MC 620 — Public Relations Theory
MC 621 — Public Relations Campaigns
MC 626 — Public Relations Strategies
MC 720 — Introduction to Graduate Research
MCJ 526 — PR Research