The primary requirements for the Ph.D. program include the following:
- Completion of 150 semester hours consisting of the five-year curriculum, including a one-year (10 months/1,500 clock hours) internship. Students entering with prior graduate work will be credited with those training elements in which they are judged proficient.
- Completion of the M.A. degree requirements unless accomplished during previous graduate study.
- Completion and successful defense of a thesis, which also satisfies the Master’s Comprehensive requirement. Students entering the program with previous graduate work, but no empirical thesis, must complete a supervised research project to satisfy this requirement.
- Satisfactory performance on the doctoral comprehensive examination. The doctoral comprehensive examination currently consists of a set of questions prepared by the student's doctoral committee.
- Completion and successful defense of a dissertation.