Scholarships are available for qualified applicants who are either current students or newly entering freshmen or transfer students. Scholarships fall into several different categories each with their own deadlines and application process. You are urged to apply for all scholarships for which you may be eligible.
- USM Foundation Scholarships – Go to the website usmfoundation.com/go to apply for these scholarships. Application Deadline February 15. These are scholarships funded by donors to the USM Foundation. Almost every department or school in the College of Science and Technology has scholarships for students through the USM Foundation. In addition, there are some general College of Science and Technology scholarships for students through the USM Foundation. Some of the general scholarships are for applicants from any area of the College of Science and Technology and some are more specific such as scholarship opportunities for premedical or predental students. Students must meet the criteria of the fund and many are based on student achievement or need. Fund availability varies each year for each scholarship. The application process is that students fill out one application through the USM Foundation and it matches applicants to the Foundation scholarships in which they may be eligible. The College of Science and Technology departments and schools or the college’s Scholarship Committee then determines from the list of eligible applicants who will receive the USM Foundation scholarship awards. For USM Foundation Scholarships only students receiving the scholarship awards will be notified. Every effort is made to award scholarships in a timely manner, usually 8-10 weeks after the deadline, so please be patient. If you have not been contacted by June 1, you may E-mail email@example.com and ask for results. Please do not call.
- Freshman Scholarships – Click on this link Freshman Scholarships to apply. These are scholarships handled through the USM admissions process. Consideration deadline is February 1.
- Transfer Scholarships – Click on this link Transfer Scholarships to apply. These are scholarships handled through the USM admissions process for transfer students. Application deadline is July 1.
- Federal Assistance – Click on this link Federal Assistance to apply for Federal Student Aid. This is usually handled as part of the USM admissions or financial aid process.
- State Assistance for Mississippi Residents – Click on this link State Assistance for Mississippi Residence to apply for state assistance and the Mississippi Tuition Assistance Grant (MTAG) or the Mississippi Eminent Scholars Grant (MSEG). This is usually handled as part of the USM admissions or financial aid process.
- National Scholarships Opportunities (e.g. Goldwater, Marshall, Rhodes, Truman)
For National Scholarship opportunities and assistance please contact:
Office Phone: 601.266.4263
Cell Phone: 225.368.6683
Office Hours: Mon-Fri 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
Drop by the International Center Room 301 or make an appointment by e-mail or phone
* Though housed in the Honors College, the National Scholarship Officer will assist any Southern Miss student interested in making application for national scholarships.
For additional information about National Scholarships check the website of the National Association of Fellowships Advisors for descriptions and links to major scholarships: http://www.nafadvisors.org/scholarships.htm. Students may also use this link http://scholarships.berkeley.edu/search.php?search=searchdeadline to a searchable scholarship database that allows students to put in several different criteria to find less well known scholarship options.
College of Science and Technology Scholarship Coordinator
Ms. L. Machell Haynes
Bobby Chain Technology Center, Rm 103