1. Adviser: How should I prepare to meet with my adviser?
  • Contact your adviser if you have questions; e-mail addresses and phone numbers are included on our Southern Miss web pages.
  • Use your Degree Progress Report [DPR*]/Student Advisement Report [SAR*] (formerly, "SMART" sheet") to lay out a long-term sequence of courses that will take you through the semester that you plan to graduate. Bring your written plan and DPR/SAR with you when you meet with your adviser.
    *Available through SOAR Instructions
  • Given limited budgets, we cannot determine in advance which SHS undergraduate courses will be offered during summers. If you need a particular course to graduate, take it during a fall or spring semester with a summer option if the course makes.
  • Seniors, remember to apply for graduation the semester before you plan to graduate. Check the University calendar for deadlines- don't wait 'til the last minute.
  • If you're considering graduate school, you'll need to take the GRE. You can take this test any time you wish, and you can repeat it as often as you wish [yes, as a freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior].
  • Seniors, we suggest that you apply to at least three graduate programs (we hope you consider Southern Miss). Application deadlines vary from school to school- check dates and admission requirements on the internet. Application materials should be submitted well in advance of deadlines. Allow yourself adequate lead time to take the GRE so you can include your scores with your applications.
  • Keep in mind that courses in our department are not offered every semester. Use the tentative schedule of undergraduate offerings [subject to change, shown below] as a guide in creating your personal long-term plan of studies.
Undergraduate course offerings by semester (subject to change without notice)
SHS course #/
FallSpr   SHS course #/
201- PhoneticsYY400- Curre TopicsYY
202/L- Fundls/LabYY410- Interv Lang Y
211- Intro Comm Dis YY411- Artic DisYY
221- Intro AudY 412- Diag Sp IYY
301- Lang/Sp DevYY421- Aur Rehab Y
302- A/P HearingY 422- Stu Tch DHHY 
303- A/P Speech Y425- Psy Soc Y
306- NeuroYY430- Sp Path HI Y
308- InstrumY 431- Lang Dis I Y
311- Cl Ast- SpYY432- Lang Dis IIY 
312- Prac DHHYY433- Lang Dev DHHY 
313- Cl Ast-AudYY435- Or/Au Com DHH Y
323- Sign IY 436- Dev Lit DHH Y
329- Sign II Y450- Clin ObsYY
340- Sign IIIY 451- Deaf Ed Mgmt Y


2. Assistantships, etc.: What about assistantships, scholarships, and traineeships?
  • Early Oral Intervention Graduate Students
    • Students should contact Dr. Christina Perigoe for scholarship information.
  • Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology Graduate Students
    • Assistantships
      • There are a limited number of assistantships available for graduate students in speech-language pathology and audiology. Usually about 20-25 percent of our graduate students hold assistantships.
      • In return for a tuition waiver and an $800/mo. stipend, students are required to provide not more than 20 hours of work as a graduate assistant.
      • Graduate assistants are required to register for 13 academic hours each semester (Fall and Spring) in order to maintain in-state and out-of-state waivers.
      • A request for an assistantship is part of the application for admission to the graduate program. Only speech-language pathology and audiology applicants who are accepted on regular admission status are considered for assistantships. Contact the department chair for additional information.
    • Graduate Traineeships
      • Student traineeships are offered by a limited number of off-campus practicum sites. Only students who are enrolled in supervised practicum at approved sites are eligible for traineeships. Arrangements for traineeships must be completed and approved by the off-campus placement adviser prior to beginning the off-campus experience. Any financial compensation must be based on the traineeship model [students in training may not serve as salaried professionals].
  • All students
    • DeafEd.Net: See resources listed on DeafEd.Net.
    • Fast Web: Visit Fast Web's database to search for scholarships, grants, fellowships and loans available to college students.
    • NASFAA: Information under its "Students, Parents & Counselors" tab and a state-by-state look at various financial-aid programs.
    • Savingforcollege.com: Information on 529 savings plans across the nation, as well as financial aid and scholarships.
    • SGFA: See The Student's Guide to Financial Aid [United States Department of Education].
    • Southern Miss- 1: Visit the University's Financial Aid Office Web site.
    • Southern Miss- 2: The University bulletin for undergraduates [the Introduction file for each year] lists scholarships available to students.
    • TEACH grants: Federal TEACH grants [up to $4,000] are available for Deaf Education majors who teach anywhere in the United States for 4 years.
    • The College Board: offers an overview of financial-aid options and comes through with such handy features as a scholarship search tool that scours more than 2,200 programs involving financial aid, scholarships and internships.
    • U.S. Dept of Ed: Keeps parents and students up dated on changes to Student Aid programs, as well as a free application for federal student aid, or FAFSA, and a tool to get an early evaluation on financial-aid eligibility.
    • Yahoo: See the results of a financial aid search on Yahoo.com.
3. CASE ("aka" CORE): Do I need to take the CASE ("aka" CORE) exam?
  • As an undergraduate student
    • Undergraduates in education of the deaf must complete REF 400 and SPE 400, while undergraduate speech-language pathology and audiology majors (catalogs on or after 2012) are required to complete SPE 400. In order to enroll in these courses you must either have:
      • an ACT composite score of 21 [SAT of 860] or higher, with no sub-score below 18 upon entrance into college (meaning that the ACT score was obtained while you were in high school; you can't retake it once you get to college to meet this requirement) or
      • acceptable scores on the CASE ("aka" CORE) sub scales: Reading [156], Writing [162], and Mathematics [150].
    • Students should take the CASE ("aka" CORE) exam if their ACT scores do not meet this requirement. However ...
    • Undergraduate speech-language pathology and audiology (not education of the deaf) majors whose ACT scores do not meet this requirement can waive the CASE ("aka" CORE) exam if they:
      • complete 18 hours of Speech and Hearing courses (including SHS 221 and SHS 301) with no grade less than C;
      • complete 44 core hours with no grade below C;
      • demonstrate a 2.75 GPA or higher.
    • Undergraduate speech-language pathology and audiology majors can request a CASE ("aka" CORE) waiver by contacting the Education Office in Room 106 Owings-McQuagge Hall.
    • For students who wish to take the CASE ("aka" CORE), The Southern Miss Testing Center is located in Room 113-108 McCain Library. Call 601.266.6123 for additional information about on-line testing services.
    • Once you have (a) completed the requirements described here, (b) fulfilled the minimum GPA requirement on the university core, (c) taken the BTLE [as applicable], and (d) completed SHS 221 (Intro to Audiology) and SHS 301 (Language and Speech Development), you can obtain a Gold Card in Room 106 Owings-McQuagge Hall. The Gold Card indicates you have fulfilled the pre-requisites required for REF/SPE 400.
  • As a potential public school employee
    • The CASE ("aka" CORE) exam is required of any individual who anticipates employment in a public school setting in the state of Mississippi, regardless of prior ACT or SAT scores.
      Additional information > Educators > Ed licensure >Praxis test info > New Praxis Test Core ....
  • See our FORMS/LINKS page for additional materials.
  • See Teacher education program for additional info.
3a. Certification (SLP): How do the new 2014 ASHA certification requirements in SLP affect me?
  • Click here for additional information.
4. Comps: Are graduate students required to take comprehensive exams?
  • All students
    • Any student requiring accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act should contact the Office of Disability Accommodation regarding information on appropriate policies and procedures.
  • Audiology Graduate Students
    • Effective fall semester, 2013 and thereafter
      • Au.D. students will complete a departmental-derived comprehensive exam. The exam will:
        • replace the policy of passing the ASHA Praxis exam as a condition for graduation;
        • be administered through Blackboard Technology to students in the spring semester of their third year;
        • consist of objective type questions:
          • submitted from each faculty member for each course they teach or from clinical practicum experiences;
          • compiled into a large pool of about 500 questions from which approximately 150 items will be selected at random for each administration.
        • be periodically reviewed with regard to test items, number of items per administration, number of items in the larger pool, student performance, and pass/fail criterion.
      • First administration
        • Date: On a day to be specified during the last week of January of the spring semester in the third year of the Au.D. program.
        • Pass criteria: 75% correct score or higher.
        • Action: Students will be reported to the Graduate School as fulfilling the comprehensive exam requirement for graduation.
        • Fail criteria: Less than 75% correct score.
        • Action: Students will be reported to the Graduate School as failing the first administration.
        • Remediation: students who fail the first administration will be directed to seek assistance from faculty members regarding materials to review to prepare for the second administration.
      • Second administration
        • Date: On a day to be specified during the second week of April of the spring semester in the third year of the Au.D. program.
        • Pass criteria: 75% correct score or higher.
        • Action: Students will be reported to the Graduate School as fulfilling the comprehensive exam requirement for graduation.
        • Fail criteria: Less than 75% correct score or failure to take the exam on the appointed date.
        • Action: Students will be reported to the Graduate School as failing the second administration.
          • the graduate school mandates a limit of two attempts on doctoral comprehensive exams;
          • students will be dismissed from the Au.D. program effective the semester in which the failures occur.
    • Students entering the Au.D. program prior to the fall semester, 2013
      • Option: students can either take and pass the ASHA Praxis Exam or take and pass the departmental exam.
      • In either case, students have six years from their admission to the program to complete the comprehensive exam requirement (per the Southern Miss Graduate Bulletin).
      • Students that opt for the local exam must sign a new Program Plan.
      • Test dates, pass-fail criteria, actions, reporting procedures and the two-administration limit for the local comprehensive exam described above apply.
      • For students who opt to take the Departmental Exam, a failure on both administrations of the exam will result in dismissal from the AuD Program as of the semester in which the failures occurred, with one exception: if an interim student has passed the ASHA Praxis exam prior to or during the same semester of the Audiology Comprehensive examination failures, then the student will have met the comprehensive exam requirement for graduation.
  • Speech-Language Pathology Graduate Students
    • Effective Fall, 2016, speech-language pathology graduate students are required to pass a local comprehensive examination in order to fulfill degree requirements.
  • Education of the Deaf Graduate Students
    • Students in the Education of the Deaf graduate program must complete a local comprehensive examination in order to fulfill degree requirements.
5. Code of ethics: How do students learn about ASHA's code of ethics?
  • Student clinicians are expected to abide by ASHA's code of ethics;
  • Southern Miss undergraduate students learn about the code of ethics in SHS 211 (Introduction to Communication Disorders). Graduate clinicians review the code of ethics at the new student orientation meeting held each fall semester;
  • The current code of ethics is available here.
6. Conflict resolution: What if I have questions or concerns about grades, policies, or other aspects of the program?
  • Conflict resolution policy is discussed at the annual fall meeting held for new SHS graduate students.
  • Students should attempt to resolve the issues with their instructor or clinical supervisor. Periodic clinical meetings are also an appropriate venue for addressing concerns.
  • In the event that a disagreement remains between a student and faculty member, the student may contact his/her adviser or the department chair. In the event concerns cannot be resolved at the departmental level, the student is advised to contact the Associate Dean of the College of Health. Students should also be aware that unresolved concerns may be brought to the attention of ASHA’s Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology at the following address:
    • Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology
    • American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
    • 2200 Research Boulevard #310
    • Rockville, MD 20850
    • Telephone: 800.498.2071 or 301.296.5700
  • The Graduate Appeals Committee reviews decisions on the following issues: admission decisions, revocation of admission, comprehensive exams, thesis and dissertation prospectus, dismissal from a program, and any other issues the Dean of the Graduate School deems appropriate. This committee does not review grade appeals or disciplinary actions taken by the Dean of Students.
  • The Appeals/Grievance Process consists of five steps:
    • Department or School Level.* The chair or director receives a written signed letter from the student within ten (10) working days that states what action the student is appealing, reviews the pertinent materials, meets with the student and faculty if appropriate, and resolution of the appeal is sought at the department or school level.
    • Dean of the College Level.* An appeal of the department or school decision must be made in writing within ten (10) working days to the dean of the college that has jurisdiction over the department or school. The dean will review the appeal and render a decision on the appeal in writing.
    • Dean of the Graduate School Level. Should the student desire to make further appeal, the written appeal should be sent within five working days to the Dean of the Graduate School. The Dean will confer with the student and refer the matter to the Graduate Appeals Committee which will hold an official hearing on the appeal. The hearing will be held within ten (10) working days of receipt of the written appeal letter as long as the university is in session or within ten (10) working days of the university beginning a session. The student may attend the hearing and a representative of the department or school may also attend the hearing or respond to the appeal in writing. The Dean of the Graduate School will send the student a letter indicating the Committee’s decision.
    • Provost Level. Should the student desire to make further appeal, the written appeal should be sent within ten (10) working days to the Provost. The Provost will review all appeal materials and render a decision in the appeal normally within ten (10) working days of receipt of the appeal.
    • President Level. If the student is not satisfied with the decision of the Provost, he or she may appeal to the President of the University in writing. The President will render a final decision in the appeal normally within ten (10) days of receipt of the appeal.
  • *If the appeal concerns the chair, director, or college dean, the student should appeal to the next level.
7. Course substitutions: How do I substitute a course?
  • Your adviser will help you determine if a substitution can be completed.
  • Be sure to bring a copy of your transcript with you; your adviser needs to attach it to the course substitution form for documentation.
  • Substitution/permission to transfer requests require a course description from external institutions (junior, community and senior colleges) (except for MS Community College) where the course was/will be completed.**
  • Emphasis codes to be included on the form for undergraduates are SPLPABA (Speech-language pathology/audiology) or EDDEAFBA (Education of the deaf).
  • NOTES: (re: LeAnne Casiano, COH, 1/28/10 and **LeAnne Cirlot, COH, 3/30/12)
    • Nutrition courses do not substitute for COH 100; Personal Wellness or Personal and Community Health courses do.
    • History*
      • Six hours of American History [HIS 201 & 202] will fulfill the six hour World Civilization [HIS 101 & 102] requirement if all six hours were completed at Southern Miss.
      • Students who transfer to Southern Miss from a Mississippi Junior or Community College with:
        • only HIS 101 or HIS 201- register for HIS 102 as a Southern Miss student;
        • only HIS 202- register for HIS 101 as a Southern Miss student;
        • only HIS 201- register for HIS 102 as a Southern Miss student.
8. GS 100: Is GS 100 required of undergraduate students?
  • Yes. All first-year (full-time, degree-seeking) students are required to take GS 100, an online component to the year-long orientation process to new students through Blackboard. This includes freshmen, transfer students and online students. GS 100 is a pass/fail online course in which students must complete the quizzes online to receive passing credit. There are no longer student fees for Orientation (Preview); however, all first-year students will be charged a course fee for GS 100. Please share this information with your departments. Should you have any questions, feel free to contact the First Year Experience Office. (1/16/13)
9. GPA-I: Are SHS students required to maintain a minimum grade point average?
  • Yes.
  • Undergraduate students
    • Prerequisites for enrolling in SPE 400 include grades of "C" or higher in English 101 and 102.
    • A student needs a GPA of 2.75 or higher to change to a Speech and Hearing Sciences major;
    • Effective Fall, 2014, students must maintain a degree plan (DEG 01 only) GPA of 2.75 and earn a "C" or higher in all SHS prefixed courses.
    • Students who fail to maintain the requisite 2.75 GPA or minimum letter grade requirements for all DEG 01 classes will be placed on program probation for one semester. If GPA or minimum letter grade requirements are not met while on program probation, the student will be dismissed from the program.
    • Only one semester of program probation is allowed in a student's academic career.
    • Students whose GPA's fall below the 2.75 minimum level should understand that they will probably be unable to gain admission to a graduate program and that they may be unable to realize their career goals in the Speech and Hearing Sciences.
    • Additionally, the SHS faculty meets periodically to discuss the status of students in the department and may advise individual students who are failing to maintain the prescribed standards to consider another area of study.
  • Graduate students
    • All students... are required to maintain a 3.0 GPA in order to graduate.
    • Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology Majors
      • Students whose cumulative GPA* falls below 3.0 will not be permitted to enroll in off-campus practicum under any circumstance. Additional requirements for off-campus practicum are discussed at the annual fall orientation meeting for new graduate students. Learn more
      • Only graduate courses taken in the Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences and approved graduate transfer courses in speech and hearing will be used to calculate the grade point average for graduation purposes.
      • Graduate students are expected to exhibit superior scholastic and clinical or scientific ability. Additionally, graduate students must exhibit personal characteristics that will enable them to deal effectively with the public and to function well in clinical settings.
      • Faculty and staff will periodically review the progress of graduate students and may request hearings for individual students to discuss their progress. Off-campus practicum assignments are only recommended when the faculty and staff are confident that a student possesses the skills, knowledge, and professionalism necessary to represent the Department in a positive manner.
      • Students must complete course requirements prior to off-campus placement. Once a student has agreed to an off-campus assignment, changes are equivalent to breaking an employment contract and are not acceptable professional behavior. Students may appeal off-campus placement decisions to the faculty.

    *posted by the University registrar at the conclusion of each semester

10. GPA-2: How is my GPA affected if I drop a course?
  • Courses dropped with a "W" do not affect GPA.
  • Prior to graduation, undergraduates can repeat courses two times over a total of 12 semester hours in order to improve their grade point averages. The grade for the second attempt will be used for computing grade point average. Students must request "Course Repeat and Grade Replacements" through the Registrar's office.
10a. GPA-3: What courses might help me improve my GPA?
  • UNV 101 2hrs. – an introduction to higher education and a general orientation to the functions and resources of the university. Encourages development of active learning skills and promotes responsible decision-making. Open to new freshmen.
  • UNV 301 2 hrs. – an exploration of transition issues for new transfer students to Southern Miss, including strategies for minimizing “transfer shock” and maximizing academic success at this research university; open to new transfer students.
  • LS 250 3 hrs. – focuses on the application of strategic management principles to college learning with an emphasis on evaluating academic performance and initiating corrective adjustments. Recommended for continuing and returning probation, probation-continued and suspension students.
  • LS 101 3 hrs. – required for students enrolled in two or more intermediate-level (099) courses, as well as those in the Year-Long Academic Support Program (IHL Policy Section 600-608-D). It consists of classroom, individual and computer-assisted instruction along with career counseling (institutional credit only). This course should be listed on the advisement form printed by the Office of Admissions. If required, the student must enroll in the course the first semester at Southern Miss.
11. Graduation: When and how do I apply for graduation? (re: LeAnne Casiano, COH, 3/23/10)
  • All students: apply for graduation the semester before you plan to graduate.
  • Undergraduate students
    • Use the most current version of the Online Undergraduate Degree Application located in the links found at the Registrar’s Web page.
    • The form should be completely filled-out.
    • Students must complete an on-line Graduation Exit Survey.
    • Attach an official DPR [Degree Progress Report], not a student copy.
    • The DPR and application form must match (if the DPR shows a minor that you dropped, the change must be implemented and reflected on the DPR);
    • Course substitution requests (along with course descriptions) must be attached to the degree application;
    • Applications to graduate are only valid for the semester entered on the application form. There is an additional fee when re-applying.
    • Additional requirements may include (check your particular catalog):
      • Southern Miss GPA: 2.0
      • Degree (courses in the major) GPA: 2.0
      • Min. total hours: 124 hrs
        • Hours from a senior institution: 50% (62 hrs)
        • Junior/senior level courses*: 45 hrs
        • Final # of hours from Southern Miss: 25% (32 hrs)
        • Hours in the major area of study from Southern Miss: 12 hrs
        • *does not include remedial/audit courses
  • Graduate students
    • The Graduate School requires that students be enrolled in at least one course during the semester in which they are to graduate.
12. Graduate courses: Can I enroll in a graduate course as an undergraduate student?
  • Yes,with permission.
    • Undergraduates complete an Out-of-Career form; adviser signs.
    • Student submits an application for admission as a non-degree student.
    • Graduate School Admissions processes and registers the student. Contact the Graduate School for additional information.
13. GRE: Does Southern Miss provide any assistance in preparing for the Graduate Record Exam?
  • Yes. Current Southern Miss undergraduates who need assistance in preparing for the GRE may wish to consider enrolling in MTCMLS 480- Conquering the GRE (1 hr credit).
  • The Southern Miss on-campus testing center is located in Room 113-108 McCain Library. Call 601.266.6123 for additional information about on-line testing services.
14. KASA: What is a KASA? How do I get a personal copy?
  • KASA (Knowledge and Skills Assessment) reflects academic knowledge and clinical skills recommended by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.
  • Undergraduate students are introduced to the KASA model in SHS 211 (Introduction to Communication Disorders). Graduate students are reacquainted with it in the orientation meeting for new graduate students conducted each fall semester.
  • Graduate students can contact their adviser to request a copy of their KASA forms.
15. Lab sciences: What courses fulfill the undergraduate laboratory science requirement?
  • Southern Miss requires that you take at least two laboratory science classes. If the science course you took had a lab section, it generally will satisfy the science and math requirement.
  • If the course didn't include a lab, it won't fulfill the laboratory science requirement but may count as a math/science elective. The final determination is made by the University registrar.
  • Effective the 2003-2004 academic year, ASHA requires that undergraduate speech-language pathology and audiology students complete one course in the biological sciences and one in the physical sciences [eg., geology, astronomy, chemistry].
  • IMPORTANT: In order to address planned certification changes from ASHA, undergraduates will soon be required to complete one Biology Lab Science and one Physical Lab Science (either Chemistry or Physics, only). Pending clearance from appropriate committees and academic authorities, that requirement is scheduled to appear in the Southern Miss bulletin in the Fall of 2016. Undergraduates using earlier catalogs will be allowed to graduate, however, those students should be aware that failure to complete the new lab requirement may impact their plans for graduate school. Specifically, graduate programs may require that students either complete the undergraduate Biology and Physics or Chemistry requirement prior to admission or after admission while completing their graduate studies.
16. Leveling-in: Can I obtain a graduate degree if my undergraduate major is in another area?
  • Applicants for graduate studies in audiology and speech-language pathology must have an undergraduate major in communication science. Individuals with a degree in another field can complete the following sequence of "leveling-in" courses in order to fulfill undergraduate requirements. Once completed, individuals may apply for graduate studies.
    • (3 hrs) SHS 201 [Introduction to Phonetics]
    • (4 hrs) SHS 202 / 202 L [Fundamentals of Speech and Hearing Sciences and Lab]
    • (3 hrs) SHS 221 [Introduction to Audiology]
    • (3 hrs) SHS 301 [Language and Speech Development]
    • (3 hrs) SHS 302/303 [A & P of the Hearing or Speech Mechanism]
    • (3 hrs) SHS 306 [Basic Neuroanatomy in Speech-Language Pathology]
    • (1 hr) SHS 311/313 [Clinical Assisting- Speech or Hearing]
    • (3 hrs) SHS 411 [Articulation Disorders]
    • (3 hrs) SHS 421 [Aural Rehabilitation]
    • (3 hrs) SHS 431 or 432 [Language Disorders I or II]
    • (3 hrs) SHS 450 [Observation]

    Credit for courses completed at another institution is determined by the academic adviser.

17. Licensure, jobs: How do I apply for licensure? Certification? Search for a job?
  • Licensure and certification
    • CCC: Apply to ASHA for your Certificate of Clinical Competence.
    • CED: Apply for CED Certification.
    • Licensure: Apply for your professional license in the state of Mississippi prior to your first job.
    • Licensure requirements: State-by-state
  • Job Searches
    • Advance Online: Visit Advance online's Web site for published job listings in speech-language pathology and audiology, addresses of state associations, and more.
    • Audiology Depot: Visit Audiology Depot's website for published job listings. Tips for preparing resumes are included.
    • Audiology Online: Browse Audiology Online's website for published job listings and on-line continuing education opportunities.
    • Career Services: Visit the Southern Miss Career Services website; they can help you create resumes, cover letters, and assist with developing interview skills.
    • CNNMoney.com: See CNN's cost-of-living calculator [city-to-city] and real estate tools.
    • DeafEd.Net: Visit DeafEd.Net for published job listings in education of the deaf.
    • MSHA: See in-state job listings in speech-language pathology and audiology on the Mississippi Speech-Language-Hearing Association's Web site.
    • SLPjobs.com: Links to a variety of positions available in speech-language pathology.
    • Salary.com: Use Salary.com's online resources as you contemplate your first job.
18. Math: What are the undergraduate math requirements?
  • Undergraduate SHS majors are required to complete Math 101 [College Algebra]; MAT 101E will substitute.
  • *Effective Fall, 2007, students can enroll in Math 101 only if their ACT math sub-score is equal to / greater than 20.
  • Students who do not meet the ACT requirement must complete Math 99 [remedial math] with a grade of C or higher before enrolling in Math 101.

*Southern Miss Math Department requirements- 3/20/07.

19. Minors: Are there undergraduate minors in SHS? How do I declare a minor?
  • Yes. 18 hours are required.
  • To declare an undergraduate minor, ask your adviser to complete a drop-add form [only indicate the minor you wish to add with the correct code from the University bulletin]. The form will be processed administratively from that point.
  • Audiology/Speech-Language Pathology (code: SPLPABA)
    • Required courses are SHS 211, 221, and 323. Recommended courses are SHS 301, 425, and 431.
  • Education of the Deaf (code: EDDEAFBA)
    • Required courses are SHS 323, 329, and 425. Recommended courses are SHS 302, 340, and 421.
20. Online: Are any SHS courses available on-line?
  • Yes,a few.
    • SHS 211- Introduction to Communication Disorders
    • SHS 221- Introduction to Audiology
    • SHS 302- Anatomy and Physiology of Hearing
    • SHS 306- Neuroanatomy
    • SHS 736- Pharmacological Applications in Audiology
  • These courses are not offered every semester; check SOAR for availability.
  • WebCT/Blackboard: Access online courses through this link.
21. Overload: Can I take a course overload?
  • Yes. An overload [registering for more than 18 hours*] requires permission of your adviser.
  • Your adviser will contact our office manager who, in turn, will clear you on SOAR to register for additional hours.

*We understand that this includes mini-seminars.

22. Policies,procedures: As a new graduate student, how do I learn about what's expected of me as a clinician?
  • Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology Program Coordinators hold a mandatory two-day orientation meeting in fall semesters for new students admitted to graduate studies in Speech and Hearing Sciences. Students meet the department chair and university-based program directors and are introduced to the Student Handbook and following topics (referenced in the Student Handbook):
    • ASHA Code of Ethics;
    • ASHA Scope of Practice for Speech-Language Pathology and/or Audiology;
    • ASHA Knowledge and Acquisition of Skills Assessment (KASA) for Speech-Language Pathology and/or Audiology;
    • Clinical Guidelines and Issues for Speech-Language Pathology and/or Audiology;
    • Complaint/Conflict Resolution;
    • Curriculum Issues in Speech-Language Pathology and/or Audiology;
    • HIPAA;
    • Off-Campus Assignments for Speech-Language Pathology and/or Audiology;
    • Professional Ethics and Academic Honesty;
    • Standard (Universal) Precautions.
  • Attendees sign a New Student Orientation Form" to verify attendance and content; forms are filed in students' advisement folders.
22a. Praxis fees: Is there any assistance available to help defray expense of the PRAXIS?
  • Yes; click here to learn more.
23. Praxis II: As a graduate student, do I need to take the Praxis II (National Exam in Audiology or Speech-Language Pathology)?
  • Yes for national certification purposes. Some states also require the Praxis II for professional licensure.
  • See FAQ 4 (comprehensive exams) for additional information.
  • Learn more- 1  Learn more- 2
23a. Pregnancy accommodations: Who should I contact should I need accommodation for a pregnancy?
  • Contact the Office of Disability Accommodations if your health care provider requires you to miss instruction due to pregnancy.
  • Contact the Office of Student Oriented Services if you cannot attend class for some period of time before/after delivery or if there is no health care provider-mandate for an accommodation.
24. Qualifying exam: Are Au.D. students required to take a qualifying exam?
    • Students complete a qualifying examination during the Spring semester of the second year of the Au.D. program.
    • Action criterion based on a mean correct score of 72.6% (SD=6.6).
Pass: highest >66%“Outstanding Academic Student Award”
Pass: >66%Continues program without consequence
Pass: >59.4%, <66%Continues program, but advised in writing to review prior coursework and areas of weakness identified by the qualifying exam
Pass: >52.8%, <59.4%Continues program, but must complete remediation based on areas of weakness identified by the qualifying exam & prior coursework
Pass: >46.2%, <52.8%Continues program. Meets with faculty to discuss course(s) to repeat based on areas of weakness identified by the qualifying exam & prior coursework
Fail: <46.2%Faculty meets to discuss performance and votes for student’s continuance in the program. A faculty vote >50% is required to discontinue the student’s program. A vote for continuance requires the faculty to recommend a remediation plan that includes repetition of courses as previously described.
  • Any student requiring accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act should contact the Office of Disability Accommodation regarding information on appropriate policies and procedures.
25. Refund: Will I get a refund if I drop a class?
  • It depends on how much of the semester has elapsed.
  • The Business Office publishes the University's refund schedule. Learn more
26. Summers: As a Southern Miss student, can I enroll in summer courses at a different institution?
  • Yes, but you must receive permission from your adviser. Be sure that a transcript of those courses is sent to the registrar's office so the course credit(s) can be posted to SOAR.
  • Be aware that no more than 64 hours of junior college credit will transfer to Southern Miss. Also remember that your catalog may require that you complete the last 25% of your courses at Southern Miss.
27. Thesis: Is there a thesis requirement for graduate students?
  • Audiology and Early Oral Intervention Students
    • There is no thesis requirement.
  • Speech-Language Pathology Studentss
    • Students must select a plan of study [Plan A (Thesis), Plan B (Formal Paper), Plan C (Non-thesis)] as soon as possible, but no later than the end of the first semester of the graduate program.
    • Once a plan has been selected, it must be pursued and can only be changed by written approval of the major profession and the department chair.
      • Plan A is strongly recommended for students who contemplate graduate studies beyond the master's degree.
      • Students who choose either plans A or B should contact their advisers for additional information regarding procedures for completing requirements.
28. Transfer courses: Which courses will transfer to Southern Miss from my community or junior college?
29. Withdrawing: How do I withdraw from the University/cancel classes?
  • Unlike dropping one or two courses, a cancellation/withdrawal from the University means that a student chooses to drop all courses for a given semester.
    • A cancellation is processed PRIOR to the start date of a regular term.
    • A withdrawal is processed AFTER a regular term begins.
  • Both processes can be completed on-line via SOAR: Self Service > Student Center > Drop ALL Classes link.
  • Once submitted, students will be contacted by an Early Response Team, in addition to various non-academic and academic areas in which they are affiliated.
    • If a cancellation/withdrawal is determined to be in the best interest of the student, the Dean or Dean Designee will be able to approve/cancel the request.
    • If approved, an email is sent to the appropriate cancellation/withdrawal staff that will process the cancellation/withdrawal through the term history panel.
  • Upon processing, the student and all faculty and staff involved with the student and services will be notified via email.
  • Administrative personnel are able to request a cancellation/withdrawal on behalf of the student in an extenuating circumstance when the student is unable to do so.

The Registrar also has useful faq's.