CARES- Campus Action Referral and Evaluation System
The CARE System contributes to the climate of academic success at The University of Southern Mississippi. It promotes a healthy lifestyle and contributes to a safe and secure campus by:
- Facilitating rapid assessment and effective referral of students with mental health issues and behavioral issues;
- Assisting and supporting students to optimize their performance in the academic environment;
- Reducing risk of harm to self or others;
- Contributing to a safe and productive living and learning environment for our students, faculty and staff; and
- Educating and training students, faculty and staff to recognize students in need of referral.
CARES consists of two components:
• CARES Team:
A multi-disciplinary team of student affairs and academic affairs professionals that addresses current student concerns and creates protocols and procedures surrounding student behavior and mental health issues. This team meets weekly to review reports, assess and plan needed interventions with students of concern.
• Critical Incident Response Team:
A quick-response team that immediately responds to campus crisis situations. The team performs threat assessments, makes recommendations and interventions in regard to issues of campus safety.