NOTE: All Southern Miss exchange applicants will be required to complete an advisor pre-approval course equivalency form as part of the application process. It is never too soon to begin working on this process, and discussing possible course substitutions at Southern Miss for the courses you intend to take at the host university abroad. We recommend you download a copy of the form to begin this process, and submit it according to the online application process described below.
Applications for the 2014-2015 academic year (fall semester or entire academic year) are due by Friday, March 1, 2014.
Applications for the spring semester only are due in September.
You must "register" in Horizons before you apply:
To begin your application for a Southern Miss exchange program click the “Apply Now” button in the upper right hand corner of this website. This will send you to our application software, "Horizons", where you will be asked to first register your personal information and create a password. After you complete this registration step you may login and apply for a program.
If you have difficulty during this process or you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask for assistance! Either stop by our office (International Center 401), call 601.266.6372 or e-mail Celine.Ingram@usm.edu.
Completing your application on-line:
During the on-line process, you will be asked to complete and/or send us the following:
- A Southern Miss exchange programs application form online
- A typed essay (no more than 2 pages in length) that describes your interest in this program, your reasons for applying, how this program relates to your academic curriculum, and personal benefits you expect to receive from this program. Include any additional information you think will be useful to the panel in evaluating your candidacy (online).
- Official transcripts of all university/college coursework
- Two recommendations from professors/instructors and your advisor's approval. If you are applying for a language exchange program, one recommendation must be from your foreign language instructor. The forms should be printed from the application on Horizons.
- A $250 non-refundable program fee, which is in addition to the cost of your program.
- The Foreign Language Self-Report (students applying for foreign language programs only)
Please submit all paper-based portions of your application to our office located in the International Center, room 401.
Or mail to:
Office of International Programs
118 College Dr. #5069
Hattiesburg, MS 39406
Foreign Language Majors
For more information on opportunities tailor made for foreign language majors, see Dr. Christopher Miles. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 601.266.4964.