How to Calculate GPA
Grades and definitions at Southern Miss are as follows:
- A: Indicates excellent work and carries four (4) quality points per semester hour
- B: Indicates good work and carries three (3) quality points per semester hour
- C: Indicates average work and carries two (2) quality points per semester hour
- D: Indicates inferior work and carries one (1) quality point per semester hour
- F: Indicates failure and carries no quality points
- E: Indicates a course in progress
- WP: Indicates withdrawal from a course passing after the deadline for dropping courses.
- WF: Indicates withdrawal from a course failing after the deadline for dropping courses; grade computed in your GPA as F
- P: Indicates a passing grade in courses taken on a pass-fail basis (does not count in computing GPA)
- I: Indicates that you were unable to complete course requirements by the end of term because of extraordinary circumstances beyond your control. Poor performance or unexplained absences are not a justification for the assignment of an I.
- AW: Indicates administrative withdrawal
- NA: Indicates that the instructor reported you as not attending. The grade is considered as attempted, but no quality points are earned. The grade is calculated as an F in your grade point average.
Calculating Grade Point Average
To calculate your GPA for each semester, follow these steps:
- Compute the total number of credits attempted for the semester (ex: 16 credits attempted).
- Determine the number of quality points for each grade received during the semester using this scale:
- Multiply the number of credits for each course by the qualify points for each course grade. (Ex: You made an A in ENG 101, and ENG 101 was a three-hour course. 4 quality points for the A x 3 semester hours = 12 quality points).
- Add quality points together for all courses for the semester.
- Divide the total number of quality points for the semester by the total number of credits attempted for the semester. (Ex: 42 quality points/16 credit hours attempted = 2.625 semester GPA)
- Cumulative GPA (your GPA for all semesters at Southern Miss) is calculated by dividing the total number of credits attempted at Southern Miss by the total number of quality points earned at Southern Miss.