About this Bachelor's Degree
The Bachelor of Arts in art is designed to give the student the opportunity to study art in an intense setting, but it also affords a broad liberal arts education. Core or foundation courses are required, as for the B.F.A., but students also take courses in other departments, as well as foreign languages.
The University of Southern Mississippi Department of Art and Design is a fully accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
- Students will demonstrate the ability to communicate in oral and written formats to both artists and non-artists.
- Students will demonstrate the capability of critical thinking and problem solving, integrating knowledge and ways of knowing, making reflective judgments, and identifying significant ideas and their underlying assumptions.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of the history of art.
- Students will demonstrate the capacity for intellectual and creative independence. They will demonstrate the ability to seek and evaluate information based on their personal philosophy of art, and indicate a direction for their future career.
- Students will demonstrate an awareness of professional practices in the visual arts.