About this Bachelor's Degree
This area is a hybrid of the American Chemical Society-certified chemistry emphasis and the biochemistry emphasis.
Incorporating a rigorous grounding in mathematics and chemistry with several courses in the life sciences, this emphasis area is an excellent preparation for graduate school in a biochemistry-related field.
Students interested in scientific careers in biochemistry research are, therefore, encouraged to consider the ACS-certified biochemistry emphasis.
Students graduating with this degree are competitive for top graduate programs. Recent graduates have gone on to graduate school at Cal Tech, Vanderbilt, Duke, the University of Texas, the University of Florida, Florida State and Baylor.
- Students will possess good communication skills in writing and interpreting scientific literature.
- Students will possess good oral communication skills in scientific subjects.
- Students will understand the nature and process of scientific research and be able to carry out directed research.
- Students graduating with a B.S. degree in Chemistry will demonstrate basic knowledge of chemistry in core areas of organic, inorganic, analytical, physical, and biochemistry.
- Students will gain enough chemistry knowledge and laboratory skills to be employed in chemistry-related fields, graduate programs, or professional schools.
- Students will understand basic laboratory safety principles.
- Students will possess good laboratory skills.