About this Bachelor's Degree
Students completing this emphasis are certified by the Committee on Professional Training of the American Chemical Society and take a minimum of 48 semester hours of chemistry course work.
Key features of the curriculum are a requirement for physics with calculus, mathematics through differential equations and a required undergraduate research experience.
Students graduating with this degree are competitive for top graduate programs. Recent graduates have gone on to graduate school at Cal Tech, Vanderbilt, Duke, the University of Texas, the University of Florida, Florida State and Baylor.
- Students will possess good communication skills in writing and interpreting scientific literature.
- Students will possess good oral communication skills in scientific subjects.
- Students will understand the nature and process of scientific research and be able to carry out directed research.
- Students graduating with a B.S. degree in Chemistry will demonstrate basic knowledge of chemistry in core areas of organic, inorganic, analytical, physical, and biochemistry.
- Students will gain enough chemistry knowledge and laboratory skills to be employed in chemistry-related fields, graduate programs, or professional schools.
- Students will understand basic laboratory safety principles.
- Students will possess good laboratory skills.