About this Bachelor's Degree
The advantage of this emphasis is its flexibility. The larger number of elective hours allows the student to take a minor or even a double major in many other academic areas.
This emphasis requires a minimum of 47 semester hours of chemistry, including an undergraduate research experience. It requires nine semester hours of calculus, but it does not require completion of physics with calculus.
Students graduating with this versatile degree have a wide variety of career options from which to choose.
- Students will possess good communication skills in writing and interpreting scientific literature.
- Students will possess good oral communication skills in scientific subjects.
- Students will understand the nature and process of scientific research and be able to carry out directed research.
- Students graduating with a B.S. degree in Chemistry will demonstrate basic knowledge of chemistry in core areas of organic, inorganic, analytical, physical, and biochemistry.
- Students will gain enough chemistry knowledge and laboratory skills to be employed in chemistry-related fields, graduate programs, or professional schools.
- Students will understand basic laboratory safety principles.
- Students will possess good laboratory skills.