About this Bachelor's Degree
The Southern Miss dance major program was the first program in Mississippi to offer the professional B.F.A. degree in dance. It is the only program in the five-state region that offers a dance education K-12 emphasis and is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Dance (NASD), which is recognized by the United States Department of Education.
The challenging and intensive four-year dance major program is grounded in a comprehensive curriculum of dance technique (ballet and modern), choreography and performance.
- Students are able to articulate the dance experience and situate creative works by themselves and others in the larger field of dance both theoretically and aesthetically.
- Students apply broad knowledge and experiences to dance-making and demonstrate a developed sense of what constitutes a serious work of dance with coherent and embodied goals and ideas.
- Graduates are prepared to successfully participate in the dance field as performers, choreographers, graduate students and/or scholars.
- Students are able to perform 400-level (advanced level) exit competencies in dance technique. A minimum of two semesters of DAN 402 is required. A minimum of two semesters of DAN 401 is required.
- Students display an integrated and comprehensive knowledge of the dance field -- historical, cultural, theoretical and aesthetic, practical and pedagogic.