About this Bachelor's Degree
Since 1910, The University of Southern Mississippi has served as the flagship for teacher education in our state. Our professors are highly respected as leaders in research and service as it relates to preparing future teachers, and our graduates hold teaching positions across the globe. We are proud and confident because of the foundation they received at Southern Miss.
Students pursuing an undergraduate degree with a major in elementary education will attain an elementary teacher’s license (certification for grades K-6), an endorsement in one content area and a supplemental reading endorsement. Areas of endorsement include 21 hours in one of the following areas:
- Social studies
- Foreign language
The Professional Education Unit at The University of Southern Mississippi is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
Student Learning Outcomes / Program Objectives
- Teacher candidates will demonstrate an elementary education content knowledge.
- Teacher Candidates will demonstrate pedagogical knowledge.
- Teacher Candidates will use assessment information to plan differentiated experiences that accommodate differences in developmental and/or educational needs.
- Teacher Candidates will impact student learning by integrating technology effectively in instruction.
- Teacher candidates will implement higher-order questioning procedures and teaching acitivities to engage students in analytic, creative, and critical thinking.