About this Bachelor's Degree
Since 1910, The University of Southern Mississippi has served as the flagship for teacher education in our state. Our professors are highly respected as leaders in research and service as it relates to preparing future teachers, and our graduates hold teaching positions across the globe. We are proud and confident because of the foundation they received at Southern Miss.
Students pursuing an undergraduate degree with a dual major in elementary education and special education will attain an elementary teacher’s license (grade K-6) and a special education teacher’s license (mild-moderate disabilities K-6). This program focuses on preparing teachers for meeting the needs of exceptional students in the general education curriculum and classroom.
Student Learning Outcomes / Program Objectives
- Teacher candidates will demonstrate an elementary education content knowledge.
- Teacher Candidates will demonstrate pedagogical knowledge.
- Teacher Candidates will use assessment information to plan differentiated experiences that accommodate differences in developmental and/or educational needs.
- Teacher Candidates will impact student learning by integrating technology effectively in instruction.
- Teacher candidates will implement higher-order questioning procedures and teaching acitivities to engage students in analytic, creative, and critical thinking.