- Acceptance to The University of Southern Mississippi
- A minimum GPA of 2.0 on all courses attempted at The University of Southern Mississippi
- Residency requirements as established by the university
- Completion of all required coursework in the degree plan, including those required by the General Education Curriculum (GEC)
- Must be in good academic standing at Southern Miss; cannot be on probation, probation continued, or suspension
- A six-semester-hour course in field geology is required. Students can take this course from another university with the approval of the department chair. The student is responsible for all fees, including out-of-state tuition, if applicable.
- Students must take the exam required to qualify as a registered professional geologist in the state of Mississippi. The student is responsible for the exam fee.
The department has agreements with all Mississippi community colleges to accept the associate degree in geography for transfer credit, as well as the acceptance of General Education courses for those transfer students who do not receive an associate degree.