About this Bachelor's Degree
The major in journalism teaches students the professional and theoretical concepts and technical skills that will enable them to be productive and responsible contributors in the field of journalism.
The program emphasizes the basics of reporting, writing, editing and photography, but professional preparation also requires an understanding of the history and the legal, ethical and social responsibilities of journalism.
This program is designed to prepare students for positions in the news media (print and online) as reporters, editors and writers. All news-editorial students are expected to do practical work on The Student Printz student newspaper.
Besides news-editorial, three other curricular options are available within this major: a broadcast journalism emphasis, a photojournalism emphasis and a public relations emphasis.
- Students will understand concepts and apply theories in the use and presentation of images and information in the news and/or public relations industry.
- Students will conduct research and evaluate information by methods appropriate to the news and/or public relations industry.
- Students willl write correctly and clearly in forms and styles appropriate for the news and/or public relations industry.
- Students will successfully use the tools and technologies of the news and/or public relations industry.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of professional ethical principles and work ethically in pursuit of truth, accuracy, fairness and diversity.