There are presently up to 8 undergraduate scholarships available through the Department of Mathematics. To apply for these scholarships, eligible students should send application materials to The University of Southern Mississippi, Department of Mathematics, Scholarship Committee, 118 College Drive #5045, Hattiesburg, MS 39406-0001. Materials may also be submitted directly at the Department of Mathematics Office, Southern Hall, Room 319.
A complete application should consist of:
- a brief letter of application indicating your intent to enroll at Southern Miss as a full-time student during the next academic year, your Mississippi residency status, and your emphasis area (BS or BS Licensure);
- a current résumé;
- complete transcripts of all undergraduate course work; and
- two letters of recommendation from persons knowledgeable about some aspect of your undergraduate performance.
You need submit only one application package even when requesting that the committee consider you for several of the scholarships. Awardees will be notified about the decisions of the Scholarship Committee during May.
- Wright W. Cross Endowment for capable and deserving students majoring in mathematics with financial need and with grade point averages of 3.0 or better. Usually four separate awards are made from this endowment. One scholarship of approximately $1,700 is given to a student who will be a senior during 2010-2011. Three scholarships of approximately $600 each are given to students of any classification. Need is determined by FAFSA results.
- Virginia Felder Endowment for female students majoring in mathematics with licensure to teach. If an acceptable candidate is not available in mathematics/licensure, then an award can be made to a student in mathematics, science, or computer science. It is anticipated that approximately $1,400 will be allocated among one or more students.
- Alton C. Grimes Endowment for students pursuing a degree in a course of study that requires 18 semester hours of mathematics beginning with calculus. The recipient should be a Mississippi resident and a person with high moral character and values. One scholarship of approximately $600 is available for a student who will be a junior or senior during 2010-2011 and who has a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or better.
- Fred H. and Nadyne M. Drews Endowment for deserving seniors majoring in mathematics. The recipient must have at least a 3.25 GPA or be a dean's list student. One scholarship of approximately $1,600 will be available.
- Jack D. Munn Memorial Scholarship for students majoring in mathematics who demonstrate financial need. One scholarship of approximately $500 will be available. Need is determined by FAFSA results.
In addition to the specific requirements listed above for each endowment or grant, the Scholarship Committee expects that each recipient will be a full time student at Southern Miss during the terms of the award. A recipient's program of study should demonstrate significant depth in mathematics relative to his or her collegiate classification.