About this Bachelor's Degree
The program provides students the opportunity to follow a course of study leading to a B.S. in mathematics (licensure). Graduates of this program obtain licensure at the secondary level.
The curriculum consists of courses covering the General Education Curriculum (GEC), mathematics and computer science courses, and courses aimed at preparing the students for state licensure.
The Professional Education Unit at The University of Southern Mississippi is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
Students need 124 hours to graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in mathematics (licensure). Both the Hattiesburg and Gulf Park campuses offer this degree program.
To gain proficiency in teaching mathematics at secondary schools, pre-service teachers are required to take 42 hours of mathematics courses, 35 hours of teacher licensure courses and three hours of a computer science course. These, together with GEC courses, prepare pre-service teachers to have sufficient content knowledge and instructional skills for teaching in the secondary schools.
- Students should understand theory and applications of calculus.
- Students will learn the fundamental logic needed for deductive reasoning and will construct proofs of elementary theorems using quantifiers, indirect and direct proofs, and mathematical induction.
- Students should possess an understanding of the breadth of the mathematical sciences and their deep interconnecting principles; an awareness of the abstract nature of theoretical mathematics and the ability to write proofs; and an in depth understanding of at least one subject in mathematics.
- Students should be mathematically conversant.
- Students should be able to write computer programs in a high level language using appropriate data structure to solve mathematical problems. Students should be able to create and document algorithms. Students should be able to use the computer for simulation and visualization of mathematical ideas and processes.
- The program prepares students to be effective secondary school teachers and/or to be prepared for graduate school.