About this Bachelor's Degree
The University of Southern Mississippi School of Music has a longstanding international reputation for musical excellence.
The school is recognized for its eminence in musical artistry, education and community service. Serving more than 475 majors from the United States and 15 countries, the school maintains a strongly diverse student population.
In fact, we have granted a higher percentage of music doctorates to African-American students than any other institution of higher learning in the country.
We are the only doctoral degree-granting School of Music in Mississippi and one of only 28 comprehensive doctoral-degree-granting Schools of Music in the 500-plus music schools accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
Student Learning Outcomes / Program Objectives
- The Student will be able to hear, identify and work conceptually with the elements of music such as rhythm, melody, harmony, structure, timbre and texture.
- The student will have the ability to read and analyze musical notation.
- The ability to understand and demonstrate the relationship of music within historical context.
- The ability to realize a variety of music styles through using information gained across the music curriculum.
- The ability to perform at levels associated with a bachelor’s student.
- The ability to understand and apply the technical skills needed for artistic self-expression in music.