About this Bachelor's Degree
The RN-B.S.N. program is completely online. (See Eagle Learning Online for more details.)
Registered nurse* students must complete the same bachelor of science in nursing degree prerequisites as all other degree candidates in the College of Nursing. The University of Southern Mississippi nursing program prerequisites may be taken at The University of Southern Mississippi or at another accredited college or university.
For registered nurse students, the NCLEX RN licensure exam will be used to validate previously earned nursing credit.
The RN-B.S.N. program of study consists of 30 hours of validation credit hours and 36 hours of upper-division nursing courses in the RN-B.S.N. program, for a total of 128 credits.
The RN-B.S.N. baccalaureate program develops nursing professionals through education, research, scholarship and practice. The nursing program provides the foundation for graduate study in nursing.
*A registered nurse student is a student who:
- is a graduate from either an associate degree program in nursing or a diploma nursing program
- is registered to practice nursing in Mississippi with an unrestricted RN license
- is admitted to and enrolled in The University of Southern Mississippi with the nursing major
- Students completing the RN-BSN program in Nursing will demonstrate curriculum mastery to provide and evaluate comprehensive, integrated care utilizing specialized knowledge and expertise to promote and/or maintain better client outcomes.
- Students completing the RN-BSN program will be able to practice within the values framework and legal parameters of the nursing profession using established ethical frameworks to monitor and influence health care practices.
- Students completing the RN-BSN program will be able to use critical thinking and problem solving approaches as a basis for nursing practice.
- Students completing the RN-BSN program assume a leadership role in planning, managing, and evaluating health care to improve client outcomes.
- Students completing the RN-BSN program pursue and communicate knowledge as it relates to the improvement of health care.