About this Bachelor's Degree
The Bachelor of Science program in polymer science is an interdisciplinary program involving chemistry, physics, chemical engineering and biochemistry.
Polymer science is the study of the materials of everyday life and the development of new materials that meet societal and technological needs.
The School of Polymers and High Performance Materials offers an undergraduate program designed to provide both a fundamental understanding of polymer chemistry and engineering and exposure to the latest thinking in polymeric materials science.
Undergraduates participate in pioneering research on a variety of topics including fuel cells, cosmetics, coatings, stimuli-responsive materials, composites and drug delivery.
- Students will understand the basic language of polymer chemistry, and the synthetic techniques by which polymers can be prepared. They will be expected to conceptualize polymer synthetic schemes, to analyze synthesis problems and to create theoretical solutions to the basic challenges of polymer synthesis.
- Students will be prepared to enter the polymer science senior level curriculum with sufficient knowledge of the physical aspects of polymer science.
- Students will acquire sufficient information to ensure that they have an appreciation of polymer science and the typical role of the polymer scientist in today’s society before they enter 300 level courses.
- Students will have sufficient background to have the skills to manipulate the basic mathematical problems of polymer science.
- Apply the knowledge gained in the classroom on independent research
- Students will have the necessary practical skills to characterize the physical properties of polymers and to accurately and fully report the results of their experiments in written form through knowledge gained in polymer techniques and in the Capstone Polymer Research Courses.
- Graduating students will demonstrate that they have attained a depth and breadth of chemical knowledge that is required to participate at entry-level positions in a variety of polymer related industries.