About this Bachelor's Degree
Therapeutic recreation, often called recreation therapy, is a health care profession that utilizes recreation and activities to improve health and well-being.
A bachelor’s degree or higher in therapeutic recreation is required for eligibility to take the certification exam. The National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC) certifies as a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS) any candidate who successfully completes the exam and all other requirements.
Therapeutic recreation specialists work in a variety of settings such as:
- Nursing homes and long-term care
- Hospitals and mental health facilities
- Physical rehabilitation and substance abuse rehabilitation
- Residential facilities
- Community recreation programs
- Demonstrate Understanding of the Practice of Therapeutic Recreation